The Alabama Crimson Tide (8-3) and the Texas Longhorns (8-3) square off at Legacy Arena. Alabama is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 137 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Texas Longhorns vs. Alabama Crimson Tide Odds Preview
The Longhorns barely escaped the Tennessee State Tigers in their last outing, 47-46. Dylan Osetkowski was the top scorer from either team with 16 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Texas played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 23.2 (worse than their season average of 14.6) and a free throw rate of 0.157 (below their season average of 0.235). Tennessee State put up marks of 35.0 and 0.140, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Crimson Tide’s last matchup, they beat the Mercer Bears, 80-79. Alabama was lifted by Collin Sexton, who was the teams leading scorer with 21 points on 6-for-11 shooting. The Crimson Tide forced 16 turnovers and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 29.1).
Alabama should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Crimson Tide currently rank 92nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.478), while Texas is 218th in effective field goal percentage (0.504).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Texas have finished under 71.4 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Alabama games have finished over. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (8-3 for Texas; 8-3 for Alabama), but the Crimson Tide have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Alabama is 4-5-1 ATS, while the Longhorns are 2-5.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Longhorns won the lone contest last season, 77-68. The Longhorns played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.415 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5. The Crimson Tide were 0.189 and 23.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Texas Longhorns vs. Alabama Crimson Tide Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Alabama, ATS Winner – Texas, O/U – Under
- The Longhorns are fourth in the NCAA with 1.6 blocks allowed per game while the Crimson Tide are 56th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Texas ranks 10th in assists allowed per game (9.8) while Alabama ranks 91st (12.5).
- The Crimson Tide average 37.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 94th in the nation. The Longhorns rank 170th in rebounds allowed per game (36.2).
- Texas ranks 32nd in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Alabama ranks 98th (6.4).
- Alabama is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Texas is 1-3 ATS with 4 unders.
- The Crimson Tide have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Alabama has defeated opponents by an average of 7.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Longhorns have scored an average of 65.4 points per game (7.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 58.0 points per game (3.4 below their season average).