Big 12 foes will battle when the Oklahoma State Cowboys (11-5, 1-3 Big 12) take on the Texas Longhorns (11-5, 2-2 Big 12) at Gallagher-Iba Arena. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys Betting Preview
In the Longhorns last outing, they edged the No. 16 TCU Horned Frogs, 99-98. With 17 points, 12 assists and five rebounds, Matt Coleman had a solid game for Texas. The Longhorns knocked down 22 of their 29 free throws (75.9 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.493).
The Cowboys are trying to rebound after their 86-82 loss to the Kansas State Wildcats in their last outing. Brandon Averette was Oklahoma State’s high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Kansas State did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (28-37; 75.7 percent). Oklahoma State, on the other hand, held the Wildcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below their season average of 30.9).
This contest should be a matchup of contrasting tempos. Oklahoma State prefers a fast-breaking style of play (53rd in possessions per game), while Texas likes to grind-it-out (164th in possessions per game).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Longhorns, it’s been Mohamed Bamba, who has averaged 13.6 points, 11.6 rebounds and 5.4 blocks, while the Cowboys have gotten great contributions from Jeffrey Carroll (18.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Cowboys won the most recent contest 84-71. Oklahoma State’s effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Texas. The Cowboys had a rate of 0.574 while the Longhorns posted a mark of 0.492.
Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Oklahoma State, ATS Winner – Oklahoma State, O/U – Over
- The Longhorns rank 41st in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Cowboys rank 101st (6.4).
- Texas ranks ninth in blocks per game (6.3) while Oklahoma State ranks 69th (4.0).
- Oklahoma State ranks 43rd in assists per game (16.2) while Texas ranks 188th (12.3).
- The Cowboys rank 64th in rebounds per game (38.4) while the Longhorns rank 199th in rebounds allowed per game (37.0).
- Oklahoma State ranks 39th in three pointers allowed per game (19.4) while Texas ranks 133rd (22.1).
- The Cowboys have been outscored by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Oklahoma State has defeated opponents by an average of 9.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Longhorns have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (9.9 above their season average).