The Sam Houston State Bearkats (14-10, 8-3 SthLnd) will attempt to lengthen a five-game home winning streak when they take on the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (8-12, 5-5 SthLnd) at Johnson Coliseum. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Odds Preview
The Islanders defeated the Incarnate Word Cardinals in their last contest, 56-51. Kareem South led Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in scoring with 11 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 (above their season average of 30.5) and a turnover percentage of 17.3 (better than their season average of 21.3). For those same stats, Incarnate Word had marks of 22.9 and 23.8, respectively.
The last time the Bearkats played, they topped the Abilene Christian Wildcats, 84-77. With 28 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Marcus Harris was the top scorer from either team. The Bearkats made 26 of their 32 free throws (81.3 percent), while the Wildcats had a turnover percentage of 23.7 (above their season average of 17.5).
Sam Houston State might have a tough time finding the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi currently ranks 83rd in defensive efficiency, while the Bearkats rank 233rd in offensive efficiency. Ball protection could be troublesome for the Islanders. They rank 349th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 24.3 percent), while the Bearkats force the 50th-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 21.7 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Bearkats won 82-50. The Bearkats played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.2 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.525. The Islanders were 25.2 and 0.354, respectively, for those same stats. John Dewey III was a top performer in the victory, with 13 points and five assists.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, ATS Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, O/U – Over
- The Bearkats average 37.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 67th in the nation. The Islanders rank 94th in rebounds allowed per game (33.5).
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 144th in blocks per game (3.0) while Sam Houston State ranks 150th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Sam Houston State ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 211th (8.2).
- The Bearkats rank 77th in assists per game (15.1) while the Islanders rank 256th (11.3).
- Sam Houston State ranks 118th in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 291st (14.3).
- The Bearkats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Islanders have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (3.1 below their season average).