The Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (4-6) will be at home in UTRGV Fieldhouse when they take on the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (2-5). Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders vs. Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Free Preview
The Islanders had no trouble getting past the Texas Lutheran Bulldogs in their last matchup, 80-42. Joe Kilgore was the games leading scorer with 18 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.8 (better than their season average of 21.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7 (above their season average of 30.3). For those same stats, Texas Lutheran was 29.1 and 20.0, respectively.
The last time the Vaqueros played, they defeated the Rice Owls, 69-67. Texas-Rio Grande Valley’s Xavier McDaniel Jr. was a key piece with 13 points and seven rebounds. Texas-Rio Grande Valley’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Rice. The Vaqueros had a rate of 0.508 (above their season average of 0.458), while the Owls posted a mark of 0.442 (below the 0.500 mark opponents have averaged against Texas-Rio Grande Valley this season).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Texas-Rio Grande Valley offense. Dating back to last season, Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 281st in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.4 percent), while the disruptive defense of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has forced the 14th-most turnovers in the nation (23.9 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Vaqueros won 82-75. Texas-Rio Grande Valley made good use of their 39 trips to the charity stripe, making 32 of them (82.1 percent). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, meanwhile, was 23-32 (71.9 percent). Nick Dixon was the games top overall scorer with 39 points.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas-Rio Grande Valley, ATS Winner – Texas-Rio Grande Valley, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Islanders rank 155th in assists allowed per game (13.2) while the Vaqueros rank 295th (15.9).
- Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 67th (2.9).
- Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 36th in three pointers attempted per game (25.3) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 318th (16.0).
- The Islanders average 9.2 steals per game, which ranks seventh in the nation. The Vaqueros rank 232nd in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 137th in rebounds allowed per game (34.6) while Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 308th (39.9).