The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (4-11, 1-4 SthLnd) will attempt to put an end to their eight-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Nicholls Colonels (11-8, 5-1 SthLnd), who look to lengthen their six-game home winning streak. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at Nicholls Colonels Betting Preview
The last time the Islanders played, they lost to the New Orleans Privateers, 61-55. Sean Rhea put together a good game for Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, recording 13 points and 10 rebounds. New Orleans had a free throw rate of 0.412 (above their season average of 0.259). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, on the other hand, held the Privateers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.392 (below their season average of 0.510).
The Colonels hope to maintain momentum after topping the Central Arkansas Bears in their last matchup, 86-79. Nicholls was led by Tevon Saddler, who had 19 points and nine rebounds. Nicholls played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 30.6) and a free throw rate of 0.429 (above their season average of 0.218). Central Arkansas had marks of 15.8 and 0.300, respectively, for those same stats.
This contest should be a battle of conflicting tempos. Nicholls has preferred to play fast (fourth in possessions per game), while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has been more methodical (229th in possessions per game). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Islanders. They rank 345th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 23.6 percent), while the Colonels force the 32nd-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 23.0 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Colonels won the only game last season, 68-64. Nicholls did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (19-23; 82.6 percent). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (24.1 vs. 26.9).
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders vs. Nicholls Colonels Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, ATS Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, O/U – Over
- The Colonels rank 60th in blocks per game (4.3) while the Islanders rank 122nd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Nicholls ranks 55th in rebounds per game (38.5) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 91st in rebounds allowed per game (33.8).
- Nicholls ranks 68th in three pointers attempted per game (24.6) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 278th (13.7).
- The Colonels rank 52nd in assists per game (16.1) while the Islanders rank 233rd (11.3).
- Nicholls ranks fifth in steals per game (10.2) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 182nd in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- The Colonels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 7.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Islanders have scored an average of 62.6 points per game (2.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.2 points per game (2.8 above their season average).