The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (3-7) will try to end a six-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Central Arkansas Bears (6-7) at Farris Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at Central Arkansas Bears ATS Preview
The last time the Islanders played, they were blown out by the Ole Miss Rebels, 85-63. With 17 points on 7-for-19 shooting, Joe Kilgore was the games high scorer. Ole Miss did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (15-21; 71.4 percent). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, on the other hand, forced the Rebels into a turnover percentage of 19.7 (above their season average of 13.7).
The Bears are trying to rebound after their 96-82 loss to the Oregon Ducks in their last outing. Jordan Howard was the games leading scorer with 35 points on 12-for-17 shooting. Oregon’s 34.6 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over Central Arkansas, who had a rate of 24.2. The Ducks mark was above their season average of 33.1.
Contrasting tempos will be on display in this matchup. Central Arkansas likes to play quickly (17th in possessions per game), while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is slower-paced (232nd in possessions per game).
Mathieu Kamba has been solid over the last five games for Central Arkansas, averaging 17.0 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Islanders won the only game played against each other last season, 88-81. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi had a better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 14.0). Central Arkansas, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (21.6 vs. 16.7).
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders vs. Central Arkansas Bears ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, ATS Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, O/U – Over
- The Bears average 4.4 blocks per game, which ranks 55th in the nation. The Islanders rank 136th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Central Arkansas averages 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 97th in the NCAA. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 167th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 73rd in rebounds allowed per game (33.1) while Central Arkansas ranks 254th (40.5).
- The Bears rank 93rd in three pointers attempted per game (23.7) while the Islanders rank 271st (13.6).
- Central Arkansas ranks 39th in assists per game (16.8) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 205th (12.0).
- The Bears average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 2.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Islanders have scored an average of 69.0 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.0 points per game (3.0 below their season average).