SthLnd foes will collide when the Abilene Christian Wildcats (15-12, 7-7 SthLnd) challenge the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (8-16, 5-9 SthLnd) at Moody Coliseum. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at Abilene Christian Wildcats Betting Preview
The Islanders lost a tough one against the Lamar Cardinals in their last game, 79-76. Joseph Kilgore had a good game for Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, recording 18 points and eight assists. Lamar’s 0.214 free throw rate was their biggest strength over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, who had a rate of 0.175. The Cardinals’ mark was below their season average of 0.259, while the Islanders’ was below their season average of 0.266.
In the Wildcats’ last matchup, they were topped by the Southeastern Louisiana Lions, 68-54. Tevin Foster was Abilene Christian’s leading scorer with 12 points on 4-for-10 shooting. Southeastern Louisiana had an effective field goal percentage of 0.563 (above their season average of 0.510). Abilene Christian, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (10-14; 71.4 percent).
It could be an error-filled game for the Abilene Christian offense. Abilene Christian ranks 271st in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.1 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi forces the 32nd-most turnovers in the nation (22.1 percent).
Jaren Lewis has been superb over the last five games for Abilene Christian, averaging 13.8 points, 12.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Islanders won 80-66. The Islanders dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.633 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.1. For those same stats, the Wildcats were 0.412 and 22.2, respectively. Kilgore recorded a double-double with 13 points and 14 rebounds.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at Abilene Christian Wildcats Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Abilene Christian, ATS Winner – Abilene Christian, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 23rd in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Islanders rank 107th (3.4).
- Abilene Christian averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 16th in the nation. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 215th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- The Wildcats rank 51st in assists per game (15.6) while the Islanders rank 247th (11.5).
- Abilene Christian ranks 210th in three pointers attempted per game (20.3) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 307th (15.0).
- The Wildcats have been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Abilene Christian has defeated opponents by an average of 4.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Islanders have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (1.0 below their season average).