SEC foes will clash when the No. 21 Kentucky Wildcats (12-3, 2-1 SEC) clash against the Texas A&M Aggies (11-4, 0-3 SEC) at Rupp Arena. Kentucky is a 7-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Texas A&M Aggies vs. Kentucky Wildcats ATS Preview
In the Aggies last matchup, they lost a tough one against the LSU Tigers, 69-68. Tyler Davis had a good performance for Texas A&M, leading the team in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-14 shooting. LSU made 12 of their 28 three pointers (42.9 percent). Texas A&M, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.339 (above their season average of 0.216).
The Wildcats are hoping for a better outcome after their 76-65 loss to the No. 23 Tennessee Volunteers in their last matchup. With 13 points, Kentucky’s PJ Washington had a solid outing. Tennessee did a terrific job of making free throws (18-24; 75.0 percent). Kentucky, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.529 vs. 0.527).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Kentucky figures to have a noteworthy advantage. The Wildcats defense ranks 57th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.468), while the Texas A&M offense is ranked 177th in effective field goal percentage (0.516). Moreover, the Aggies are among the nations best on the offensive backboards, ranking 33rd in offensive rebounding percentage (35.5 percent). The Wildcats, meanwhile, rank 267th at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 69.1 percent.
Of Texas A&M’s 12 games that accepted bets, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of Kentucky’s 14 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (11-4 for Texas A&M; 12-3 for Kentucky), but the Wildcats have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Kentucky is 6-8-1 ATS, while the Aggies are 5-7.
Davis has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Texas A&M, averaging 13.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Wildcats won both matchups last season. In the most recent game, Kentucky won 71-63. The Wildcats turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Aggies. Kentucky had a rate of 8.2, while Texas A&M posted a mark of 10.5.
Texas A&M Aggies vs. Kentucky Wildcats ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kentucky, ATS Winner – Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Aggies rank 174th in three pointers attempted per game (20.5) while the Wildcats rank 253rd (14.7).
- Kentucky averages 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 89th in the nation. Texas A&M ranks 106th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Texas A&M is 4-2 ATS on the road, while Kentucky is 4-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the Aggies 6 road games, while 5 of the Wildcats 10 home games have gone over.
- Texas A&M ranks 21st in assists per game (17.5) while Kentucky ranks 144th in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- The Wildcats average 5.6 blocks per game, which ranks 17th in the NCAA. The Aggies rank 129th in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- Texas A&M averages 44.1 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the NCAA. Kentucky ranks 101st in rebounds allowed per game (33.9).
- Kentucky is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Texas A&M is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 9.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 68.8 points per game (9.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.4 points per game (5.5 above their season average).