SEC foes will collide when the Alabama Crimson Tide (8-4) meet the No. 5 Texas A&M Aggies (11-1) at Coleman Coliseum. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Texas A&M Aggies at Alabama Crimson Tide Free Preview
The last time the Aggies played, they were victorious over the Buffalo Bulls, 89-73. Duane Wilson was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Texas A&M dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.491 (above their season average of 0.210) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7 (above their season average of 35.4). For those same stats, Buffalo had marks of 0.058 and 31.9, respectively.
The Crimson Tide are hoping for a better outcome after their 66-50 loss to the Texas Longhorns in their last game. With 10 points and six rebounds, Alabama’s Daniel Giddens put together a solid outing. Texas did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (11-14; 78.6 percent). Alabama, on the other hand, held the Longhorns to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 29.5).
A focal point for the Alabama offense is getting to the free throw line. The Crimson Tide rank 33rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.297), but Texas A&M is among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking 16th by yielding a FTA rate of 0.162).
Tyler Davis has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Texas A&M, averaging 13.8 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Aggies won the sole game last season, 56-53. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Texas A&M’s largest advantages. They made 37 trips to the line, while Alabama went just nine times.
Texas A&M Aggies at Alabama Crimson Tide Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Alabama, ATS Winner – Alabama, O/U – Over
- The Crimson Tide average 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks 17th in the nation. The Aggies rank 122nd in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Alabama ranks 102nd in steals per game (6.5) while Texas A&M ranks 107th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Texas A&M averages 45.1 rebounds per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Alabama ranks 182nd in rebounds allowed per game (36.3).
- The Crimson Tide rank 85th in three pointers allowed per game (20.5) while the Aggies rank 236th (26.4).
- Texas A&M ranks 14th in assists per game (18.6) while Alabama ranks 145th (13.4).
- The Crimson Tide have been outscored by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Alabama has defeated opponents by an average of 5.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 80.6 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.4 points per game (1.0 below their season average).