SEC foes will collide when the South Carolina Gamecocks (12-6, 3-3 SEC) meet the No. 21 Tennessee Volunteers (12-5, 3-3 SEC) at Colonial Life Arena. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Tennessee Volunteers at South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Preview
In the Volunteers last outing, they were beaten by the Missouri Tigers, 59-55. With 15 points on 5-for-12 shooting, Grant Williams was the games high scorer. Missouri did an excellent job of making free throws (15-17; 88.2 percent). Tennessee, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (13.1 vs. 17.8).
The Gamecocks hope to maintain momentum after topping the No. 18 Kentucky Wildcats in their last outing, 76-68. South Carolina rallied around Chris Silva, who was the games leading scorer with 27 points on 9-for-17 shooting. The Gamecocks had a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 16.8) and held the Wildcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.8 (below their season average of 35.4).
The aggressive South Carolina offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Gamecocks currently rank 24th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.298, while Tennessee ranks 282nd in FTA rate allowed (0.279). Moreover, the Volunteers are among the nations best on the offensive backboards, ranking 32nd in offensive rebounding percentage (35.1 percent). The Gamecocks, however, rank 25th at securing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.1 percent.
Admiral Schofield has been superb over the last five games for Tennessee, averaging 16.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Gamecocks won both games last season. In the most recent game, South Carolina won 82-55. The Gamecocks played a nearly perfect game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.525 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5. The Volunteers recorded marks of 0.343 and 25.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Tennessee Volunteers at South Carolina Gamecocks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Tennessee, ATS Winner – Tennessee, O/U – Over
- The Gamecocks rank 47th in rebounds per game (38.7) while the Volunteers rank 123rd in rebounds allowed per game (34.7).
- Tennessee ranks 27th in assists per game (16.9) while South Carolina ranks 185th (12.7).
- The Volunteers rank 26th in blocks per game (5.2) while the Gamecocks rank 160th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Tennessee averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 75th in the NCAA. South Carolina ranks 163rd in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- The Gamecocks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Volunteers have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (3.2 above their season average).