The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (4-2) will be at home in McCamish Pavilion when they meet the Tennessee Volunteers (5-1). Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 3, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Tennessee Volunteers at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Betting Preview
In the Volunteers last matchup, they won big over the Mercer Bears, 84-60. Grant Williams was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 8-for-15 shooting. The Volunteers forced 20 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.676 (above their season average of 0.510).
The Yellow Jackets are hoping for a better outcome after their 64-63 loss to the Grambling State Tigers in their last matchup. Jose Alvarado was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Grambling State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.448). Georgia Tech, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.204 vs. 0.148).
Georgia Tech could dominate on defense as they square off against one of the nation’s worst offenses. The Yellow Jackets rank 17th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.457), while Tennessee is 299th in effective field goal percentage (0.482) dating back to last season. Moreover, the Volunteers have been among the nation’s elite at getting to the line, ranking 29th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.297). The Yellow Jackets, meanwhile, rank 24th in opponents FTA rate (0.188).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Tennessee have gone over 75.0 percent of the time, while 100.0 percent of Georgia Tech games have finished under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Volunteers have a clear advantage. They are 5-1 SU and 3-1 ATS, while the Yellow Jackets are 4-2 SU and 2-1 ATS.
The Volunteers won the only contest against the Yellow Jackets last season, 81-58. The Volunteers dominated every stat category in the game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.585 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.358. The Yellow Jackets put up marks of 0.382 and 0.291, respectively, for those same stats.
Tennessee Volunteers at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Tennessee, ATS Winner – Tennessee, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Volunteers average 14.7 assists per game, which ranks 97th in the nation. The Yellow Jackets rank 158th in assists allowed per game (13.2).
- Georgia Tech averages 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 110th in the NCAA. Tennessee ranks 140th in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- Georgia Tech averages 6.1 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the NCAA. Tennessee ranks 178th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- The Volunteers average 37.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 77th in the nation. The Yellow Jackets rank 201st in rebounds allowed per game (35.9).
- Tennessee ranks 273rd in three pointers attempted per game (18.6) while Georgia Tech ranks 337th (14.3).