The No. 16 Purdue Boilermakers (11-2) and the Tennessee State Tigers (5-5) square off at Mackey Arena. The Boilermakers look to prolong their seven-game winning streak. Purdue is a 24-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 133 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Tennessee State Tigers at Purdue Boilermakers Free Preview
In the Tigers last matchup, they lost a close one to the Texas Longhorns, 47-46. Tennessee State’s Christian Mekowulu had a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Texas forced the Tigers into a turnover percentage of 35.0 (above their season average of 17.7). Tennessee State, on the other hand, held the Longhorns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.382 (below their season average of 0.514).
The Boilermakers will look to maintain momentum after topping the Butler Bulldogs in their last game, 82-67. Purdue was lifted by Carsen Edwards, who was the top scorer from either team with 18 points on 7-for-12 shooting. The Boilermakers made 19 of their 24 free throws (79.2 percent) and held the Bulldogs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.428 (below their season average of 0.530).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the productive offense of Purdue (19th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 119.3) takes on the stingy defense of Tennessee State (36th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 92.5).
Of Tennessee State’s 4 games with betting action, two have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Purdue’s 12 games have finished over the projected point total. The Boilermakers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 11-2 SU and 8-4 ATS, while the Tigers are 5-5 SU and 2-2 ATS.
Isaac Haas has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Purdue, averaging 16.0 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
Tennessee State Tigers vs. Purdue Boilermakers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Tennessee State, O/U – Under
- The Boilermakers average 37.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 95th in the NCAA. The Tigers rank 139th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- Tennessee State allows the 13th-fewest steals per game (4.7) while Purdue ranks 46th (5.5).
- Purdue ranks 25th in assists per game (17.7) while Tennessee State ranks 237th (10.4).
- The Boilermakers rank 14th in blocks per game (6.0) while the Tigers rank 143rd (2.8).
- Purdue averages 22.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 128th in the NCAA. Tennessee State ranks 234th in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- The Boilermakers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.0, down from 20.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.8 points per game (4.2 below their season average).