The Tennessee State Tigers (13-11, 8-5 OVC) head to Pete Mathews Coliseum to go head-to-head against the Jacksonville State Gamecocks (18-8, 9-4 OVC). The Tigers will attempt to continue their five-game winning streak. Jacksonville State is a 6.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 126.5 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Tennessee State Tigers at Jacksonville State Gamecocks Betting Preview
In the Tigers last game, they were victorious over the Belmont Bruins, 64-56. Christian Mekowulu was the games leading scorer with 18 points on 4-for-6 shooting. Tennessee State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.457 (above their season average of 0.268) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.4 (below their season average of 25.6). Belmont had marks of 0.128 and 13.8, respectively, for those same stats.
The Gamecocks come in on a high note after defeating the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles in their last contest, 82-65. With 22 points on 9-for-15 shooting, Jason Burnell led Jacksonville State in scoring. Jacksonville State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 33.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.540 (above their season average of 0.520). Tennessee Tech was 28.9 and 0.411, respectively, for those same stats.
Points could be at a premium in this matchup between two of the NCAA’s top defenses. Jacksonville State currently ranks 26th in defensive efficiency (96.0) and Tennessee State is 50th (97.3).
Of Tennessee State’s 18 games with betting action, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 11 of Jacksonville State’s 20 games have finished over the O/U total. The Gamecocks come into this game with a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-8 SU and 12-8 ATS, while the Tigers are 13-11 SU and 9-9 ATS.
Burnell has really been playing well over the last five games for Jacksonville State, averaging 12.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 127 points in that game, hitting the projected point total. The Tigers won 67-60, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Tigers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.313 and a turnover percentage of 16.8. The Gamecocks were 0.000 and 21.8, respectively, for those same stats. Mekowulu was a standout player in the game, producing 14 points and nine rebounds.
Tennessee State Tigers vs. Jacksonville State Gamecocks Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Tennessee State, ATS Winner – Tennessee State, O/U – Under
- The Gamecocks rank 25th in blocks per game (5.0) while the Tigers rank 140th (3.1).
- Tennessee State ranks 48th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Jacksonville State ranks 90th (5.9).
- Tennessee State is 4-5 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, Jacksonville State is 6-4 ATS with 6 overs and 4 unders.
- Jacksonville State ranks 43rd in assists per game (16.0) while Tennessee State ranks 260th (10.9).
- The Gamecocks rank 46th in rebounds per game (38.4) while the Tigers rank 239th (33.0).
- Tennessee State ranks 132nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.6) while Jacksonville State ranks 259th (18.4).
- Jacksonville State is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Tennessee State is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Gamecocks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.4, down from 8.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 66.6 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 55.6 points per game (10.7 below their season average).