The Alabama State Hornets (0-8) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first win when they square off against the Tennessee State Tigers (4-3) at Dunn-Oliver Acadome. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 12, 2017.
Tennessee State Tigers vs. Alabama State Hornets Betting Preview
In the Tigers last matchup, they lost to the Lipscomb Bisons, 95-86. Tennessee State’s Christian Mekowulu finished with 26 points and 15 rebounds in the game. Lipscomb did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (27-35; 77.1 percent). Tennessee State, meanwhile, held the Bisons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.6 (below their season average of 28.6).
The Hornets are hoping for a better outcome after their 77-69 loss to the Jacksonville State Gamecocks in their last matchup. Branden Johnson was Alabama State’s high scorer with 10 points on 5-for-8 shooting. Jacksonville State held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.395 (below their season average of 0.446). Alabama State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 14.3 (better than their season average of 20.0).
It could be a sloppy game for the Alabama State offense. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, Alabama State ranks 325th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.4 percent), while the pesky defense of Tennessee State has forced the 39th-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.1 percent).
The Tigers won the sole game against the Hornets last season, 68-46. Tennessee State’s 0.519 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Alabama State, who had a rate of 0.280.
Tennessee State Tigers vs. Alabama State Hornets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Tennessee State, ATS Winner – Tennessee State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Tigers rank 225th in assists per game (11.4) while the Hornets rank 244th (9.7).
- Tennessee State ranks 101st in blocks per game (3.4) while Alabama State ranks 109th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Tennessee State ranks 76th in rebounds allowed per game (33.1) while Alabama State ranks 236th (38.7).
- The Tigers rank 50th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Hornets rank 182nd (7.5).
- Alabama State ranks 158th in three pointers attempted per game (21.3) while Tennessee State ranks 229th (18.4).