The Temple Owls (7-7, 0-3 AAC) and the UCF Knights (11-4, 2-1 AAC), who both like to play slow, will clash at CFE Federal Credit Union Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 131 points with UCF set as a 4-point favorite. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Temple Owls at UCF Knights Odds Preview
In the Owls last game, they lost a close one to the No. 19 Cincinnati Bearcats, 55-53. Temple’s Obi Enechionyia put together a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 14 points on 4-for-11 shooting. Cincinnati had a better free throw rate (0.235 vs. 0.196). Temple, on the other hand, forced the Bearcats into a turnover percentage of 21.1 (above their season average of 14.4).
The Knights will look to keep it rolling after defeating the Memphis Tigers in their last contest, 65-56. UCF rallied around A.J. Davis, who was the games leading scorer with 16 points on 2-for-3 shooting. UCF dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.413 (above their season average of 0.270) and a turnover percentage of 15.6 (better than their season average of 19.9). Memphis was 0.176 and 20.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams face off. UCF ranks 318th in possessions per game (66.9) and Temple is 323rd (66.6). Moreover, the Owls, who rank 319th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.186), could struggle to get to the line against the Knights, who rank 17th in opponents FTA rate (0.164).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Temple games have gone over 57.1 percent of the time, while games featuring UCF have finished under 90.0 percent of the time. The Knights have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (11-4 vs. 7-7) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (8-2 vs. 7-7).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Knights won both contests last season. In the last contest, UCF won 71-69. UCF’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Temple. The Knights had a rate of 0.169, while the Owls posted a mark of 0.016.
Temple Owls vs. UCF Knights ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UCF, ATS Winner – Temple, O/U – Under
- The Knights average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 42nd in the nation. The Owls rank 108th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Temple ranks 201st in assists per game (12.3) while UCF ranks 229th (11.5).
- Temple is 5-3 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 3 unders.
- UCF is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 unders and 1 over.
- UCF ranks 58th in rebounds per game (38.7) while Temple ranks 238th (32.9).
- The Owls rank 135th in three pointers attempted per game (22.0) while the Knights rank 250th (15.7).
- Temple ranks 45th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while UCF ranks 159th (7.5).
- UCF is 3-0 ATS with 3 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Temple is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Knights average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.6, up from 5.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Owls have scored an average of 66.0 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (0.8 above their season average).