The Temple Owls (16-12, 8-8 AAC) will travel to Harry A. Gampel Pavilion to clash with the Connecticut Huskies (13-16, 6-10 AAC) in their home finale. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142 points with Temple opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Temple Owls vs. Connecticut Huskies ATS Preview
The Owls dismantled the UCF Knights in their last contest, 75-56. Quinton Rose was the game’s high scorer with 19 points on 7-for-14 shooting. The Owls, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.493, had a solid mark of 0.588 and held the Knights to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below their season average of 29.7).
In the Huskies’ last game, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Memphis Tigers, 83-79. Jalen Adams was the game’s high scorer with 25 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Memphis had an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.3 (above their season average of 35.9). Connecticut, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (19-25; 76.0 percent).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams face off. Connecticut ranks 286th in possessions per game (67.2) and Temple is 278th (67.4).
Of Temple’s 28 games, 15 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Connecticut’s 25 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Owls have a clear advantage. They are 16-12 SU and 16-12 ATS, while the Huskies are 13-16 SU and 8-18 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Owls, it’s been Rose, who has averaged 16.8 points and 1.4 steals, while the Huskies have gotten solid contributions from Christian Vital (17.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 142 points, which was over the projected point total of 129.5. The Owls won 85-57, covering as 6-point favorites. The Owls played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 6.5 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.571. For those same stats, the Huskies put up marks of 21.9 and 0.441, respectively. In the victory, Shizz Alston Jr. led all scorers with 18 points.
Temple Owls at Connecticut Huskies Free Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Temple, ATS Winner – Connecticut, O/U – Over
- The Huskies are 23rd in the nation with 5.0 steals allowed per game while the Owls are 42nd with 5.3 steals allowed per game.
- On the road, Temple is 10-5 ATS with 8 unders and 7 overs.
- Connecticut is 4-8 ATS at home with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- Temple averages 23.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 101st in the NCAA. Connecticut ranks 252nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- The Owls rank 183rd in assists per game (12.9) while the Huskies rank 277th (10.3).
- Connecticut averages 34.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 194th in the nation. Temple ranks 269th in rebounds allowed per game (38.1).
- Connecticut is 0-5 ATS with 4 overs and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Temple is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Huskies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Owls have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (6.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (1.8 above their season average).