ACC foes will collide when the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (7-6, 0-1 ACC) meet the Syracuse Orange (12-2, 1-0 ACC) at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Wake Forest is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 135.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Syracuse Orange vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons ATS Preview
The Orange were victorious over the Virginia Tech Hokies in their last contest, 68-56. With 11 points and 13 rebounds, Matthew Moyer played well for Syracuse. Syracuse dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.362 (above their season average of 0.293) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (below their season average of 39.8). Virginia Tech recorded marks of 0.192 and 21.1, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Demon Deacons last matchup, they were topped by the No. 13 North Carolina Tar Heels, 73-69. Bryant Crawford led Wake Forest in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-13 shooting. North Carolina held the Demon Deacons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.3 (below their season average of 33.9). Wake Forest, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 17.8).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Wake Forest. Wake Forest ranks 226th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Syracuse forces the 93rd-most turnovers in the nation (21.1 percent). Also, the Orange rank third in offensive rebounding percentage (39.5 percent), while the Demon Deacons rank 265th in defensive rebounding percentage (68.7 percent).
Games including these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Syracuse games have finished under 66.7 percent of the time, while 72.7 percent of Wake Forest games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Orange have a significant advantage. They are 12-2 SU and 6-6 ATS, while the Demon Deacons are 7-6 SU and 5-6 ATS.
Oshae Brissett has really been playing well over the last five games for Syracuse, averaging 19.2 points, 10.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Orange won the sole game last season, 81-76. The Orange dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.407 and a turnover percentage of 13.0. The Demon Deacons put up marks of 0.288 and 14.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Syracuse Orange at Wake Forest Demon Deacons Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wake Forest, ATS Winner – Wake Forest, O/U – Under
- The Orange rank 22nd in steals per game (8.6) while the Demon Deacons rank 84th (6.8).
- Wake Forest ranks 151st in assists per game (13.4) while Syracuse ranks 206th in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- Syracuse is 2-1 ATS on the road, while Wake Forest is 2-3 ATS at home.
- Of the Orange’s 3 road games, they have 2 overs and 1 under.
- In 5 home games, the Demon Deacons have 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Syracuse ranks 13th in rebounds per game (41.9) while Wake Forest ranks 169th (35.1).
- The Orange rank seventh in blocks per game (6.4) while the Demon Deacons rank 80th (3.8).
- Wake Forest ranks 175th in three pointers attempted per game (21.1) while Syracuse ranks 241st (18.1).
- Wake Forest is 2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Syracuse is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Demon Deacons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.6, up from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Orange have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.2 points per game (1.0 above their season average).