Expect a low-scoring game when the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (10-11, 3-5 ACC) and the Syracuse Orange (15-6, 4-4 ACC) face off at McCamish Pavilion. Syracuse is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 122 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Syracuse Orange vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Betting Preview
The Orange were victorious over the Pittsburgh Panthers in their last game, 60-55. Bourama Sidibe was Syracuse’s high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-8 shooting. Syracuse played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.352 (above their season average of 0.291) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.380 (below their season average of 0.484). Pittsburgh was 0.154 and 0.346, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Yellow Jackets last game, they were topped by the No. 18 Clemson Tigers, 72-70. Josh Okogie was the games leading scorer with 26 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Clemson had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.4 (above their season average of 26.1). Georgia Tech, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (15-19; 78.9 percent).
The ineffective offense of Georgia Tech (265th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 101.6) will clash against the elite defense of Syracuse (29th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 95.4). The Orange figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. Furthermore, the Orange could control the offensive glass in this battle as they rank sixth in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 37.4 percent. The Yellow Jackets, meanwhile, rank 254th at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 69.6 percent.
Both of these teams tend to finish under the projected point total. Games including Syracuse have gone under 57.9 percent of the time, while 58.8 percent of Georgia Tech games have gone under. The Orange have the superior straight up (SU) record (15-6 vs. 10-11), but the Yellow Jackets hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (9-7-1 vs. 8-11).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after splitting two games last season. The Orange won the last contest 90-61. The Orange dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.315 and a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.676. For those same stats, the Yellow Jackets were 0.105 and 0.482, respectively.
Syracuse Orange vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Syracuse, ATS Winner – Syracuse, O/U – Over
- The Orange rank 17th in steals per game (8.3) while the Yellow Jackets rank 85th in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- Georgia Tech ranks 192nd in assists per game (12.6) while Syracuse ranks 238th (11.4).
- On the road, Syracuse is 3-4 ATS with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- Georgia Tech is 6-4 ATS at home with 6 unders and 4 overs.
- Georgia Tech ranks 46th in three pointers allowed per game (19.4) while Syracuse ranks 250th (25.1).
- The Orange rank 30th in rebounds per game (39.6) while the Yellow Jackets rank 213th (34.0).
- Syracuse averages 6.1 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the NCAA. Georgia Tech ranks 76th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).
- Georgia Tech is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Syracuse is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Yellow Jackets have been outscored by an average of 5.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Georgia Tech has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Orange have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.4 points per game (3.2 above their season average).