In a battle featuring two schools that like to feature their running games, Coach Dino Babers and the Syracuse Orange (-5) will be taking on the Pittsburgh Panthers at Heinz Field. This conference game is scheduled to get underway at 12:20 p.m. ET and fans can catch it live by tuning in to CHSS.
Betting Preview: Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Syracuse Orange
Pittsburgh is playing the role of underdog and is currently getting 5 points in this Saturday ACC game. The Orange are also receiving -220 moneyline odds while the Panthers are +180. If one team can get out in front early it will create a nice live betting opportunity. Vegas has placed the over/under (O/U) at 59 points.
The over/under has not moved after being initially placed at 59. Having said that, the line opened at 6 so the early action has been swaying toward the Panthers.
The profitable Orange have recorded 2.5 units so far in 2018 and are 4-1 against the spread (ATS). The team’s posted an Over-Under mark of 2-3.
The Panthers have lost 2.0 units this season. The team is 1-4 ATS and has an even O/U record of 2-2.
The Orange have gone 4-1 straight up (SU), including 1-1 SU against conference opponents. The Panthers are 2-3 SU overall and are also 1-1 SU in conference play.
These two programs faced off last year with the final result being a 27-24 win for Syracuse.
The Orange came up short to Clemson 27-23 in a matchup where Eric Dungey completed 26-of-41 passes for 250 yards and one interception. Jamal Custis (five receptions, 73 yards) and Devin C. Butler (five catches, 45 yards) shared the receiving duties in the defeat.
Pittsburgh just dropped an ugly 45-14 game to UCF. Kenny Pickett completed 16-of-26 passes for 163 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Qadree Ollison (49 rushing yards on 11 attempts) mounted the running attack as Maurice Ffrench (three receptions, 78 yards, one TD) and Will Gragg (three catches, 21 yards) led the pass-catching attack in the loss.
Syracuse has run the ball on 58.4 percent of its offensive plays this year, including 53.5 percent across possessions in conference play. Pittsburgh has an overall run percentage of 60.6 percent, and has rushed the ball 54.5 percent of the time against ACC opponents. The Orange have run for 234.6 yards per game (including 141.5 per game against Atlantic Coast opponents) and have 14 touchdowns on the ground this year. The Panthers are logging 191.6 rush yards per game (183.0 in conference) and have nine total rushing TDs.
If 2018 results can translate to this game, then the Orange should hold an advantage when it comes to applying pressure, as their offensive line has allowed only 32 sacks while the D-line registered 17 sacks. The Panthers, on the other hand, have allowed 31 sacks and their defense has sacked opposing QBs on just 23 occasions.
The Orange offensive scheme has tallied 246.2 yards per game through the air overall (234.5 per game versus conference opposition) and has 10 passing scores so far. The Panthers have put up 151.6 pass yards per contest (186 in the ACC) and have five total pass TDs.
Syracuse has let opponents run for an average of 163.2 yards and throw for 239.4 yards per game. The Pittsburgh D has given up 229.8 yards per game to opposing passers and 200.8 yards per game to opposing runners. The Orange are allowing an adjusted net yards per pass attempt (ANY/A) of just 4.66 to opponents, while the Panthers have given up a 7.72 ANY/A.
Dungey has been more productive than Pickett recently, as his adjusted net yards per pass attempt stands at 6.96for the season (and 7.37 over the last two outings). Pickett’s ANY/A is 4.20 for the year and 4.63 over his past two outings.
Syracuse Orange at Pittsburgh Panthers Free Prediction
SU Winner: Syracuse, ATS Winner: Syracuse, O/U: Under
- Syracuse was favored by 25 points in its previous game and the Over/Under was set at 65. The under cashed and Syracuse did not cover in the 27-23 loss to Clemson.
- Syracuse has averaged 4.83720930232558 yards per carry over its past three contests and 5.6 over its last two.
- Pittsburgh has averaged 4.8 yards per carry over its last three games and 4.9 over its last two.
- Pittsburgh has lost four fumbles this season while Syracuse has lost two.
- In its last three matches, Syracuse is 2-1 ATS and the under cashed in each of those three.
- Pittsburgh was favored by 14 points in its last game and the O/U was set at 65.5. The under cashed and Pittsburgh failed to cover in the 45-14 defeat to UCF.
- In its last three games, Pittsburgh is 1-2 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- Pittsburgh has lost four of its last five games SU, with a five-point win over Georgia Tech on September 15th representing the one victory over that stretch.
- The Orange offense has recorded two pass plays of 40 or more yards, while the Panthers have put up four such plays.
- Both teams have allowed five pass plays of 40 or more yards. The Syracuse defense has given up nine pass plays of 30+ yards while Pittsburgh has given up 10 such plays.
- The Syracuse offense has created five rushing plays of 20 yards or more, while Pittsburgh has created seven such runs.
- The Orange defense has allowed 12 rushing plays of 20 or more yards, while the Panthers have given up 14 such runs.
- The Syracuse defensive unit has sacked opposing quarterbacks 17 times this year. Pittsburgh has recorded just nine sacks.