AmEast foes will clash when the Maine Black Bears (6-20, 3-8 AmEast) challenge the Stony Brook Seawolves (9-16, 4-7 AmEast) at Cross Insurance Center. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 11, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Stony Brook Seawolves at Maine Black Bears Free Preview
In the Seawolves last game, they beat the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks, 81-68. With 16 points and 10 rebounds, Akwasi Yeboah had a solid outing for Stony Brook. Stony Brook dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (better than their season average of 17.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.0 (above their season average of 31.7). For those same stats, Massachusetts-Lowell was 22.0 and 32.4, respectively.
The Black Bears are trying to rebound after their 71-56 loss to the New Hampshire Wildcats in their last contest. Aaron Calixte led Maine in scoring with 16 points on 4-for-13 shooting. New Hampshire held the Black Bears to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.8 (below their season average of 25.8). Maine, meanwhile, held the Wildcats to an effective field goal percentage of 0.398 (below their season average of 0.484).
It could be an error-filled game for the Maine offense. Maine ranks 306th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.2 percent), while the pesky defense of Stony Brook forces the 41st-most turnovers in the nation (21.9 percent).
Andrew Fleming has been superb over the last five games for Maine, averaging 11.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Seawolves won 71-70. The Seawolves played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 43.9 and a superb free throw rate of 0.267. For those same stats, the Black Bears were 16.7 and 0.119, respectively. Calixte scored a game-high 21 points.
Stony Brook Seawolves at Maine Black Bears Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Maine, ATS Winner – Maine, O/U – Over
- The Seawolves rank 129th in assists per game (14.1) while the Black Bears rank 239th (11.7).
- Stony Brook ranks 17th in steals per game (8.1) while Maine ranks 194th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- The Seawolves rank 46th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while the Black Bears rank 218th (24.0).
- Stony Brook averages 36.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 124th in the nation. Maine ranks 268th in rebounds allowed per game (38.8).
- The Black Bears average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 8.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seawolves have scored an average of 67.4 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (2.6 below their season average).