The Vermont Catamounts (26-6, 16-1 AmEast) and Stony Brook Seawolves (13-18, 8-9 AmEast) will battle at Roy L Patrick Gymnasium to bring the regular season to a conclusion. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 135.5 points with Vermont set as a 12.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Stony Brook Seawolves vs. Vermont Catamounts Betting Preview
In the Seawolves last game, they defeated the Albany Great Danes, 69-60. With 17 points and seven rebounds, Stony Brook’s Junior Saintel had a good game. The Seawolves had 8 steals and held the Great Danes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.368 (below their season average of 0.512).
The Catamounts come in on a high note after defeating the Maine Black Bears in their last game, 75-60. Drew Urquhart played a pivotal role for Vermont with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Vermont dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.288 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 27.0). Maine was 0.107 and 18.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The physical Vermont offense might be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this showdown. The Catamounts currently rank ninth in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.308, while Stony Brook ranks 298th in FTA rate allowed (0.282).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish under the O/U total. Stony Brook games have finished under 100.0 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of games featuring Vermont have finished under. The Catamounts come into this game with a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 26-6 SU and 3-4 ATS, while the Seawolves are 13-18 SU and 2-0 ATS.
Urquhart has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Vermont, averaging 15.2 points, 7.6 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Catamounts winning both. Akwasi Yeboah scored a game-high 21 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Seawolves lost 69-60. The Catamounts dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 29.2 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.600. The Seawolves recorded marks of 14.3 and 0.296, respectively, for those same stats.
Stony Brook Seawolves at Vermont Catamounts Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Vermont, ATS Winner – Vermont, O/U – Under
- The Seawolves rank 49th in assists allowed per game (11.6) while the Catamounts rank 61st (11.8).
- On the road, Stony Brook is 2-0 ATS with 1 under and 0 overs.
- Vermont is 0-1 ATS at home with 1 under and 0 overs.
- Stony Brook ranks ninth in steals per game (8.3) while Vermont ranks 252nd (3.8).
- The Catamounts rank second in rebounds allowed per game (28.4) while the Seawolves rank 186th (35.7).
- Stony Brook ranks 88th in three pointers attempted per game (23.8) while Vermont ranks 245th (19.1).
- Vermont is 0-1 ATS with 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Stony Brook is 1-0 ATS with 1 under.
- The Catamounts average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, up from 10.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seawolves have scored an average of 64.4 points per game (5.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (6.7 below their season average).