The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (10-3) will be at home in Louis Brown Athletic Center when they clash against the Stony Brook Seawolves (4-8). Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Stony Brook Seawolves vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights ATS Preview
The Seawolves lost a close one to the Providence Friars in their last matchup, 62-60. With 22 points on 8-for-13 shooting, Akwasi Yeboah was the top scorer from either team. Providence had a free throw rate of 0.304 (above their season average of 0.278). Stony Brook, on the other hand, held the Friars to an effective field goal percentage of 0.402 (below their season average of 0.546).
In the Scarlet Knights last matchup, they defeated the No. 15 Seton Hall Pirates, 71-65. Rutgers was led by Deshawn Freeman, who contributed 12 points and 16 rebounds. Rutgers played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.328 (above their season average of 0.212) and a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 13.9). Seton Hall recorded marks of 0.095 and 21.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Based on each teams statistical profile, ball protection could play a key role in this showdown. Rutgers commits the 45th-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 16.7 percent), while the gambling defense of Stony Brook forces the 48th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 22.8 percent). Moreover, the Seawolves rank 256th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.215), while the Scarlet Knights rank 20th in opponents FTA rate (0.166).
Geo Baker has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Rutgers, averaging 13.0 points, 4.8 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Scarlet Knights won the only game last season, 71-66. The Scarlet Knights dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.245 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0. The Seawolves put up marks of 0.088 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Stony Brook Seawolves vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Stony Brook, ATS Winner – Stony Brook, O/U – Over
- The Scarlet Knights average 7.7 steals per game, which ranks 52nd in the nation. The Seawolves rank 162nd in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- Rutgers ranks 42nd in assists allowed per game (11.4) while Stony Brook ranks 71st (12.1).
- Rutgers ranks first in rebounds per game (45.7) while Stony Brook ranks 194th (34.2).
- The Seawolves rank 100th in three pointers attempted per game (23.7) while the Scarlet Knights rank 273rd (15.7).
- Rutgers ranks 19th in blocks per game (5.8) while Stony Brook ranks 175th (2.3).
- The Scarlet Knights average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, down from 14.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seawolves have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (1.4 below their season average).