AmEast foes will collide when the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks (7-12, 1-5 AmEast) square off against the Stony Brook Seawolves (8-12, 3-3 AmEast) at Costello Athletic Center. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Stony Brook Seawolves vs. Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks Odds Preview
The Seawolves lost a tough one against the New Hampshire Wildcats in their last contest, 53-51. With 16 points on 6-for-14 shooting, Jaron Cornish was the games leading scorer. New Hampshire had a better offensive rebounding percentage (30.6 vs. 28.6). Stony Brook, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 17.5).
In the River Hawks last matchup, they topped the Binghamton Bearcats, 79-71. With 24 points on 9-for-16 shooting, Matt Harris was Massachusetts-Lowell’s leading scorer. The River Hawks had a superb turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 16.6) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.509).
The physical Massachusetts-Lowell offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The River Hawks currently rank 52nd in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.281, while Stony Brook is among the NCAA’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 272nd-ranked FTA rate of 0.267).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Seawolves won both meetings last season. In the last matchup, Stony Brook won 83-72. The Seawolves played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.7 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5. For those same stats, the River Hawks were 22.4 and 24.2, respectively.
Stony Brook Seawolves at Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Stony Brook, ATS Winner – Stony Brook, O/U – Under
- The River Hawks rank 111th in blocks per game (3.3) while the Seawolves rank 161st in blocks allowed per game (4.5).
- Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (18.4) while Stony Brook ranks 75th (20.3).
- Stony Brook ranks 134th in rebounds per game (36.1) while Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 274th (31.6).
- The River Hawks average 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 66th in the NCAA. The Seawolves rank 145th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Stony Brook ranks 91st in assists per game (14.7) while Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 165th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- The River Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seawolves have scored an average of 63.6 points per game (8.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (6.5 below their season average).