The Fort Wayne Mastodons (6-5) can prolong a five-game home winning streak when they take on the Stetson Hatters (7-5) at Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
Stetson Hatters vs. Fort Wayne Mastodons ATS Preview
In the Hatters last contest, they won a close one over the Marist Red Foxes, 79-76. With 16 points, Stetson’s Divine Myles put together a good outing. Stetson dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.8 (worse than their season average of 12.5) and a free throw rate of 0.218 (above their season average of 0.144). Marist put up marks of 18.8 and 0.180, respectively, for those same stats.
The Mastodons are trying to rebound after their 81-73 loss to the Miami (OH) RedHawks in their last contest. With 12 points and eight rebounds, Fort Wayne’s Xzavier Taylor put together a good performance. Miami (OH) made 14 of their 25 three pointers (56.0 percent). Fort Wayne, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (19-27; 70.4 percent).
The sweet-shooting offense of Fort Wayne will clash against the mid-tier defense of Stetson. The Mastodons rank 26th in effective field goal percentage (0.530), while the Hatters are 219th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.513). The Mastodons should have the edge on that end of the court. Also, put-back points figure to be tough to come by for the Hatters. They rank 319th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.0 percent, while the Mastodons are 36th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 73.1 percent).
Myles has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Stetson, averaging 19.0 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Mastodons won the only contest last season, 93-74. Fort Wayne had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (35.9 vs. 9.5). Stetson, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.119 vs. 0.079).
Stetson Hatters at Fort Wayne Mastodons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Fort Wayne, ATS Winner – Fort Wayne, O/U – Under
- The Hatters rank 31st in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Mastodons rank 133rd (7.6).
- Fort Wayne ranks 35th in blocks allowed per game (3.1) while Stetson ranks 119th (3.5).
- Stetson averages 24.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 64th in the NCAA. Fort Wayne ranks 231st in three pointers allowed per game (21.8).
- The Mastodons rank 82nd in rebounds allowed per game (34.7) while the Hatters rank 228th (38.2).
- Stetson ranks 50th in assists per game (16.0) while Fort Wayne ranks 159th in assists allowed per game (11.8).
- The Mastodons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 8.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hatters have scored an average of 76.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (2.7 below their season average).