The No. 3 Texas Tech Red Raiders (24-9) will be 11-point favorites in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at American Airlines Center when they take on the No. 14 Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (28-6). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137.5 points and action gets underway at 7:27 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Red Raiders lost a tough one against the 18th-ranked West Virginia Mountaineers, 66-63, while the Lumberjacks defeated the Southeastern Louisiana Lions, 59-55.
The Lumberjacks held the Lions to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.0 (below their season average of 31.4). The Lions also had a turnover percentage of 23.2 (above their season average of 17.4). Texas Tech, on the other hand, held West Virginia to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (below their season average of 36.8). Texas Tech was lifted by Jarrett Culver, who put up 16 points. TJ Holyfield, meanwhile played well for Stephen F. Austin, finishing with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
Baskets could be hard to come by as two of the NCAA’s best defenses go head-to-head. Texas Tech ranks 11th in defensive efficiency (94.5) and Stephen F. Austin is sixth (93.6). It will also be a matchup of opposite styles as the fast-paced Lumberjacks rank 30th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Red Raiders rank 252nd.
Of the Lumberjacks’ 5 games that accepted bets, three have finished under the total. Stephen F. Austin heads into the contest with records of 28-6 straight up (SU) and 4-1 against the spread (ATS).
A little over half of Red Raiders games have also finished under the O/U total. Texas Tech is 24-9 SU, but they have difficulty covering the spread (13-15-1 ATS).
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Texas Tech, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Over
- Texas Tech averages 7.4 steals per game, which ranks 41st in the NCAA. Stephen F. Austin ranks 218th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- The Red Raiders rank 237th in three pointers attempted per game (19.2) while the Lumberjacks rank 250th (18.7).
- Texas Tech is 31st in the NCAA with 31.8 rebounds allowed per game while Stephen F. Austin is 32nd with 31.9 rebounds allowed per game.
- The Red Raiders rank 50th in blocks per game (4.3) while the Lumberjacks rank 159th (3.1).
- Texas Tech ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (10.4) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 107th (12.8).
- During their last five games, the Red Raiders have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (3.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (8.9 above their season average).
- The Lumberjacks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 13.0 for the season.