SthLnd foes will collide when the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (8-14, 5-7 SthLnd) take on the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (20-5, 9-3 SthLnd) at American Bank Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders Betting Preview
The Lumberjacks had no trouble getting past the Northwestern State Demons in their last contest, 97-50. Shannon Bogues was the games leading scorer with 35 points on 13-for-17 shooting. Stephen F. Austin dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.392 (above their season average of 0.263) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.755 (above their season average of 0.544). For those same stats, Northwestern State was 0.111 and 0.407, respectively.
The last time the Islanders played, they were thoroughly outplayed by the New Orleans Privateers, 62-53. Joseph Kilgore was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 6-for-15 shooting. New Orleans had a turnover percentage of 12.0 (better than their season average of 19.4). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, on the other hand, held the Privateers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.6 (below their season average of 35.3).
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Stephen F. Austin ranks 17th in defensive efficiency while the Islanders rank 338th in offensive efficiency. Ball security could be troublesome for the Lumberjacks. They rank 320th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 21.5 percent), while the Islanders force the 25th-most turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 22.7 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Lumberjacks won two out of three meetings last season. In the most recent contest, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi won 77-69. The Islanders turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Lumberjacks. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi had a rate of 10.3, while Stephen F. Austin posted a mark of 18.6.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders Odds Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Over
- The Lumberjacks rank 270th in three pointers attempted per game (18.2) while the Islanders rank 308th (14.6).
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi averages 3.0 blocks per game, which ranks 138th in the NCAA. Stephen F. Austin ranks 152nd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Stephen F. Austin averages 10.7 steals per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 217th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- The Lumberjacks rank 120th in assists per game (14.4) while the Islanders rank 255th (11.1).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 35th in rebounds allowed per game (31.7) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 87th (33.4).
- The Islanders have outscored opponents by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has been defeated by an average of 3.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Lumberjacks have scored an average of 86.8 points per game (4.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.8 points per game (3.8 above their season average).