The Southeastern Louisiana Lions (22-10, 16-3 SthLnd) and the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (27-6, 16-4 SthLnd) face off in the Southland Conference Tourney at Leonard E. Merrell Center. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs. Southeastern Louisiana Lions Odds Preview
In the Lumberjacks last contest, they defeated the Nicholls Colonels, 78-66. With 11 points, 11 rebounds and eight blocks, TJ Holyfield had a solid performance for Stephen F. Austin. Stephen F. Austin played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.490 (below their season average of 0.550) and a free throw rate of 0.580 (above their season average of 0.276). For those same stats, Nicholls was 0.347 and 0.424, respectively.
The Lions come in on a high note after defeating the Sam Houston State Bearkats in their last contest, 89-79. With 29 points on 6-for-12 shooting, Marlain Veal was the top scorer from either team. The Lions made 28 of their 35 free throws (80.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.649 (above their season average of 0.520).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Southeastern Louisiana offense. Southeastern Louisiana ranks 276th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.1 percent), while the gambling defense of Stephen F. Austin forces the most turnovers in the NCAA (27.5 percent). Moreover, the Lumberjacks are among the nations elite on the offensive backboards, ranking 32nd in offensive rebounding percentage (34.2 percent). The Lions, meanwhile, rank 318th at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 67.7 percent.
These teams have already met once this season. The Lions won 73-62. The Lions played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.650 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.588. For those same stats, the Lumberjacks were 0.226 and 0.472, respectively. Veal put up a double-double in the victory with 27 points and 10 rebounds.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs. Southeastern Louisiana Lions ATS Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Southeastern Louisiana, ATS Winner – Southeastern Louisiana, O/U – Under
- The Lions rank 176th in three pointers attempted per game (21.0) while the Lumberjacks rank 244th (18.8).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 152nd in blocks per game (3.1) while Southeastern Louisiana ranks 160th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Southeastern Louisiana averages 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 77th in the nation. Stephen F. Austin ranks 215th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- The Lumberjacks rank 34th in rebounds allowed per game (32.0) while the Lions rank 165th (35.2).
- Southeastern Louisiana ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (10.8) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 103rd (12.7).
- The Lions average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.8, up from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lumberjacks have scored an average of 74.2 points per game (7.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (6.5 below their season average).