The Sam Houston State Bearkats (18-12, 12-5 SthLnd) and Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (24-6, 13-4 SthLnd) will face off at Johnson Coliseum to close out the regular season. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at Sam Houston State Bearkats Free Preview
In the Lumberjacks last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the Abilene Christian Wildcats, 76-56. Ivan Canete was the top scorer from either team with 15 points on 4-for-7 shooting. Stephen F. Austin played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.259 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 16.0 (better than their season average of 18.4). Abilene Christian had marks of 0.100 and 29.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bearkats are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-70 loss to the Central Arkansas Bears in their last outing. Christopher Galbreath Jr. was Sam Houston State’s leading scorer with 12 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Central Arkansas did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (14-16; 87.5 percent). Sam Houston State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (36.4 vs. 25.9).
Baskets could be hard to come by in this showdown between a pair of the NCAA’s top defenses. Sam Houston State ranks 48th in defensive efficiency (98.5) and Stephen F. Austin is ninth (94.3). It could also be an error-filled game for the Lumberjacks offense, which ranks 317th in ball security (turnover percentage of 21.1 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Bearkats, which forces the 48th-most turnovers in the nation (21.4 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Lumberjacks won 82-66. Stephen F. Austin launched 15 three pointers, making six of them (40.0 percent), while Sam Houston State was 4-19 (21.1 percent). Ty Charles had a standout performance in the victory, putting up 20 points and nine rebounds.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at Sam Houston State Bearkats Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Under
- The Lumberjacks rank 174th in blocks per game (2.7) while the Bearkats rank 227th (1.8).
- Sam Houston State averages 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 86th in the NCAA. Stephen F. Austin ranks 117th in assists allowed per game (13.0).
- Sam Houston State ranks 31st in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 210th (7.4).
- The Bearkats rank 173rd in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while the Lumberjacks rank 262nd (18.7).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 44th in rebounds allowed per game (32.0) while Sam Houston State ranks 120th (34.0).
- The Bearkats have been outscored by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Sam Houston State has defeated opponents by an average of 3.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Lumberjacks have scored an average of 81.4 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (3.9 below their season average).