SthLnd foes will collide when the Lamar Cardinals (13-10, 5-5 SthLnd) square off with the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (18-4, 7-2 SthLnd) at Montagne Center. Action starts at 5:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at Lamar Cardinals Odds Preview
The last time the Lumberjacks played, they had no trouble getting past the Houston Baptist Huskies, 102-82. Ty Charles was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 10-for-15 shooting. The Lumberjacks had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.632 (above their season average of 0.538) and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (35.3 vs. 34.1).
The Cardinals are trying to rebound after their 74-69 loss to the Abilene Christian Wildcats in their last outing. Josh Nzeakor led Lamar in scoring with 18 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Abilene Christian had an effective field goal percentage of 0.612 (above their season average of 0.538). Lamar, on the other hand, held the Wildcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.8 (below their season average of 24.7).
Baskets could be hard to come by as two of the NCAA’s best defenses face off. Lamar currently ranks 48th in defensive efficiency (97.0) and Stephen F. Austin is 20th (94.7). It could also be an error-filled game for the offense of the Lumberjacks, which ranks 315th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.7 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Cardinals, which forces the fifth-most turnovers in the NCAA (24.4 percent).
Nzeakor has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Lamar, averaging 14.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Lumberjacks won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Stephen F. Austin won 75-59. The Lumberjacks dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.435. The Cardinals were 28.1 and 0.245, respectively, for those same stats.
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at Lamar Cardinals Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Over
- The Lumberjacks average 14.4 assists per game, which ranks 112th in the NCAA. The Cardinals rank 137th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- Lamar averages 9.1 steals per game, which ranks seventh in the NCAA. Stephen F. Austin ranks 194th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- The Lumberjacks rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.2) while the Cardinals rank 186th (36.0).
- Lamar ranks 132nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.1) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 256th (17.7).
- The Cardinals average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, down from 7.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lumberjacks have scored an average of 87.0 points per game (4.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.4 points per game (5.9 above their season average).