Pac-12 foes will clash when the No. 25 USC Trojans (15-6, 6-2 Pac-12) square off against the Stanford Cardinal (11-9, 5-2 Pac-12) at Galen Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 149 points with USC opening as a 10-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Stanford Cardinal vs. USC Trojans Free Preview
The Cardinal lost a tough one against the No. 14 Arizona Wildcats in their last contest, 73-71. With 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting, Reid Travis was Stanford’s high scorer. Arizona held the Cardinal to an effective field goal percentage of 0.443 (below their season average of 0.522). Stanford, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (17-23; 73.9 percent).
In the Trojans last game, they defeated the Oregon State Beavers, 74-67. USC rallied around Jordan McLaughlin, who put up 12 points and six assists. USC dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.8 (better than their season average of 13.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.551 (above their season average of 0.538). For those same stats, Oregon State was 17.9 and 0.444, respectively.
USC could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. USC ranks 25th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.0 percent), while Stanford forces the 33rd-fewest turnovers (16.4 percent). Also, the Cardinal, who rank 38th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.288), will face a difficult test against the Trojans, who rank 37th in opponents FTA rate (0.185).
Of Stanford’s 20 games, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 10 of USC’s 20 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Trojans have a clear advantage. They are 15-6 SU and 13-7-1 ATS, while the Cardinal are 11-9 SU and 9-10-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 153 points, just under the projected point total of 153.5. The Cardinal won 77-76, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Cardinal dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.159 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 40.6. For those same stats, the Trojans put up marks of 0.058 and 35.1, respectively. Travis put up a double-double in the victory with 29 points and 10 rebounds.
Stanford Cardinal at USC Trojans Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – USC, ATS Winner – Stanford, O/U – Under
- The Trojans average 4.5 blocks per game, which ranks 43rd in the nation. The Cardinal rank 151st in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- Stanford ranks 43rd in rebounds per game (39.0) while USC ranks 129th (36.3).
- Stanford is 2-4 ATS on the road, while USC is 5-5-1 ATS at home.
- The Cardinal have 5 unders and 1 over in 6 road games.
- Of the Trojans 11 home games, they have 5 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- USC ranks 129th in three pointers attempted per game (22.2) while Stanford ranks 241st (18.4).
- The Trojans rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (5.0) while the Cardinal rank 133rd (6.8).
- USC ranks 38th in assists per game (16.3) while Stanford ranks 148th (13.4).
- USC is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Stanford is 5-0 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Trojans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.0, down from 8.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cardinal have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (3.0 below their season average).