The UCF Knights (4-1) and the St. John’s Red Storm (5-1) go head-to-head in the AdvoCare Invitational at HP Field House. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 148 points with St. John’s opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Action starts at 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 26, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
St. John’s Red Storm vs. UCF Knights Odds Preview
The last time the Red Storm played, they fell to the Missouri Tigers, 90-82. With 31 points on 13-for-27 shooting, Shamorie Ponds was the top scorer from either team. Missouri did an excellent job of making free throws (26-32; 81.3 percent). St. John’s, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (13.3 vs. 19.0).
The Knights are hoping for a better outcome after their 83-45 loss to the No. 23 West Virginia Mountaineers in their last game. Tacko Fall was UCF’s leading scorer with 11 points on 4-for-7 shooting. West Virginia held the Knights to an effective field goal percentage of 0.255 (below their season average of 0.514). UCF, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.408 (above their season average of 0.395).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of UCF. Since last season, UCF ranks 339th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.4 percent), while the pesky defense of St. John’s has forced the 33rd-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.7 percent). It will also be a matchup of contrasting paces as the up-and-down Red Storm rank 48th in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Knights rank 309th.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring St. John’s have finished over 66.7 percent of the time, while 75.0 percent of UCF games have gone under. Both teams have superb straight up (SU) records (5-1 for St. John’s; 4-1 for UCF), but the Knights have the advantage against the spread (ATS). UCF is 2-2 ATS, while the Red Storm are 2-2.
St. John’s Red Storm vs. UCF Knights ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – St. John’s, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Red Storm rank 158th in assists per game (13.6) while the Knights rank 303rd (10.9).
- St. John’s averages 5.8 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the NCAA. UCF ranks 79th in blocks allowed per game (3.0).
- UCF ranks eighth in rebounds per game (40.7) while St. John’s ranks 298th in rebounds allowed per game (38.7).
- The Red Storm rank 58th in steals per game (7.2) while the Knights rank 288th (4.2).
- St. John’s averages 22.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 97th in the nation. UCF ranks 291st in three pointers allowed per game (24.2).