The Georgetown Hoyas (15-14, 5-13 Big East) and the St. John’s Red Storm (15-16, 4-14 Big East) battle in the Big East Conference Tourney at Madison Square Garden. St. John’s is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 145.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
St. John’s Red Storm vs. Georgetown Hoyas Betting Preview
The Red Storm lost to the Providence Friars in their last contest, 61-57. St. John’s’ Bashir Ahmed had a solid game, contributing 12 points and seven rebounds. Providence did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (18-25; 72.0 percent). St. John’s, meanwhile, held the Friars to an effective field goal percentage of 0.439 (below their season average of 0.505).
In the Hoyas’ last matchup, they were beaten by the No. 4 Villanova Wildcats, 97-73. Jessie Govan was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Villanova was lights out from beyond the arc (14-31; 45.2 percent). Georgetown, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (18-21; 85.7 percent).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Georgetown. Georgetown ranks 312th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.9 percent), while the gambling defense of St. John’s forces the ninth-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.1 percent).
Of St. John’s’ 27 games that accepted bets, 14 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of Georgetown’s 25 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Red Storm are 15-16 SU and 13-15-1 ATS, while the Hoyas are 15-14 SU and 12-13-1 ATS.
Marvin Clark II has been playing at a high level over the last five games for St. John’s, averaging 16.8 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Hoyas winning both. Shamorie Ponds scored a game-high 33 points in the most recent contest, in which the Red Storm lost 93-89, unable to cover as 0-point favorites. The two teams combined for 182 points, which was 37.5 points above the projected point total of 144.5 points. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Georgetown’s largest advantages. They had 34 free throw attempts, while St. John’s had 25.
St. John’s Red Storm vs. Georgetown Hoyas ATS Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – St. John’s, O/U – Over
- The Red Storm average 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the nation. The Hoyas rank 122nd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- St. John’s ranks 176th in three pointers attempted per game (21.3) while Georgetown ranks 279th in three pointers allowed per game (25.0).
- Georgetown averages 38.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 42nd in the nation. St. John’s ranks 289th in rebounds allowed per game (39.5).
- The Red Storm rank eighth in steals per game (8.7) while the Hoyas rank 204th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- Georgetown ranks ninth in assists per game (17.4) while St. John’s ranks 191st in assists allowed per game (14.1).
- Georgetown is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, St. John’s is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hoyas have been outscored by an average of 8.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Georgetown has defeated opponents by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Red Storm have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (2.2 above their season average).