The No. 16 Arizona State Sun Devils (7-0) and the St. John’s Red Storm (8-1) clash at Staples Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 159.5 points with Arizona State set as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 8, 2017, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
St. John’s Red Storm vs. Arizona State Sun Devils ATS Preview
The Red Storm beat the Grand Canyon Antelopes in their last outing, 68-60. Shamorie Ponds was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 10-for-21 shooting. St. John’s played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.377 (above their season average of 0.236) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.453 (below their season average of 0.490). Grand Canyon was 0.182 and 0.364, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Sun Devils last matchup, they blew out the San Francisco Dons, 75-57. Arizona State was lifted by Romello White, who led the team in scoring with 16 points on 4-for-5 shooting. Arizona State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.386) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.634). San Francisco had marks of 0.159 and 0.373, respectively, for those same stats.
Based on each teams statistical profile, ball protection could play an integral role in this meeting. Since last season, Arizona State has committed the fifth-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while the disruptive defense of St. John’s has forced the 31st-most (opponents turnover percentage of 22.4 percent). ,
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. St. John’s games have finished under 60.0 percent of the time, while games involving Arizona State have finished over 85.7 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Sun Devils have a substantial advantage. They are 7-0 SU and 6-0-1 ATS, while the Red Storm are 8-1 SU and 4-3 ATS.
St. John’s Red Storm vs. Arizona State Sun Devils Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – St. John’s, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Red Storm rank 44th in steals per game (7.5) while the Sun Devils rank 158th (6.1).
- St. John’s ranks 197th in rebounds per game (35.2) while Arizona State ranks 280th in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- St. John’s averages 22.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 104th in the NCAA. Arizona State ranks 292nd in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- The Red Storm rank sixth in blocks per game (6.0) while the Sun Devils rank 176th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- St. John’s averages 13.4 assists per game, which ranks 175th in the nation. Arizona State ranks 304th in assists allowed per game (18.3).