The St. Bonaventure Bonnies (12-4, 2-2 A10) will attempt to snap the seven-game winning streak of Rhode Island when they head to Thomas M. Ryan Center to take on the Rams (12-3, 4-0 A10). Action starts at 11 a.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
St. Bonaventure Bonnies at Rhode Island Rams Odds Preview
The last time the Bonnies played, they were victorious over the Fordham Rams, 77-61. LaDarien Griffin was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 9-for-14 shooting. St. Bonaventure played a nearly flawless game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.3 (above their season average of 30.8) and a turnover percentage of 14.2 (better than their season average of 14.8). Fordham put up marks of 13.9 and 16.7, respectively, for those same stats.
The Rams come in on a high note after beating the Saint Louis Billikens in their last game, 72-65. Rhode Island’s Andre Berry had a good game, contributing 17 points and 10 rebounds. The Rams forced 17 turnovers and held the Billikens to an effective field goal percentage of 0.427 (below the 0.501 mark opponents have averaged against Rhode Island this season).
Ball protection could play a significant role in this contest. Rhode Island commits the 16th-fewest miscues in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 15.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of St. Bonaventure forces the 39th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 22.7 percent). Moreover, the Bonnies, who rank fifth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.326), could earn plenty of trips to the line against the Rams, who rank 328th in opponents FTA rate (0.309).
E.C. Matthews has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Rhode Island, averaging 16.0 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Rams won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Rhode Island won 74-63. Getting to the free throw line was one of Rhode Island’s biggest strengths. They had 36 free throw attempts, while St. Bonaventure had just 18.
St. Bonaventure Bonnies vs. Rhode Island Rams Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rhode Island, ATS Winner – Rhode Island, O/U – Over
- The Rams average 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 32nd in the NCAA. The Bonnies rank 45th in steals allowed per game (5.5).
- Rhode Island ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (14.0) while St. Bonaventure ranks 175th (23.3).
- The Rams rank 21st in assists allowed per game (10.5) while the Bonnies rank 97th (12.9).
- Rhode Island averages 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 78th in the NCAA. St. Bonaventure ranks 115th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- The Rams average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.8, up from 9.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bonnies have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (4.5 above their season average).