The Dayton Flyers (6-7, 0-1 A10) will try to snap the eight-game winning streak of St. Bonaventure when they welcome the Bonnies (11-2, 1-0 A10) to University of Dayton Arena. St. Bonaventure is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 138.5 points. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
St. Bonaventure Bonnies vs. Dayton Flyers Free Preview
The Bonnies had no trouble getting past the Massachusetts Minutemen in their last matchup, 98-78. Jaylen Adams was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 10-for-16 shooting. St. Bonaventure played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.313 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 14.9). For those same stats, Massachusetts was 0.152 and 13.0, respectively.
In the Flyers last matchup, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Duquesne Dukes, 70-62. With 14 points and 13 rebounds, Josh Cunningham put together a good outing for Dayton. Duquesne did a fantastic job of making free throws (18-21; 85.7 percent). Dayton, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 18.5).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Dayton currently ranks 291st in possessions per game (67.8) and St. Bonaventure is 262nd (68.6). ,
Of St. Bonaventure’s 10 games with betting action, six have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of Dayton’s 13 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Bonnies have a significant advantage. They are 11-2 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Flyers are 6-7 SU and 5-8 ATS.
Adams has been playing at a high level over the last five games for St. Bonaventure, averaging 20.0 points, 5.8 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Flyers won both games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Dayton won 76-72. The Flyers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.583 and a turnover percentage of 15.6. For those same stats, the Bonnies had marks of 0.404 and 18.0, respectively.
St. Bonaventure Bonnies vs. Dayton Flyers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Dayton, ATS Winner – Dayton, O/U – Under
- The Bonnies average 13.5 assists per game, which ranks 148th in the nation. The Flyers rank 149th in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- St. Bonaventure is 4-2 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 1 over.
- At home, Dayton is 3-4 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- Dayton ranks 64th in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while St. Bonaventure ranks 256th (17.0).
- The Bonnies rank 33rd in steals per game (8.0) while the Flyers rank 123rd (6.1).
- St. Bonaventure ranks 166th in rebounds per game (35.2) while Dayton ranks 244th (32.4).
- Dayton is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, St. Bonaventure is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Flyers have been outscored by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Dayton has defeated opponents by an average of 0.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Bonnies have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.2 points per game (3.0 above their season average).