The No. 3 Michigan State Spartans (8-1) and the Southern Utah Thunderbirds (5-3) face off at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The Spartans will try to continue their seven-game winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds at Michigan State Spartans Free Preview
The last time the Thunderbirds played, they beat the Long Beach State 49ers, 94-89. With 14 points and 10 rebounds, Southern Utah’s Christian Musoko put together a good game. The Thunderbirds held the 49ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.6 (below their season average of 29.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.585 (above their season average of 0.503).
The Spartans come in on a high note after defeating the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in their last contest, 62-52. With 21 points on 7-for-17 shooting, Miles Bridges was the games high scorer. Michigan State’s 0.456 effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Rutgers, who had a rate of 0.288. The Spartans mark was below their season average of 0.565, while the Scarlet Knights was below their season average of 0.449.
The high-octane offense of Michigan State will clash against the bottom-tier defense of Southern Utah. Dating back to last season, the Spartans rank 43rd in offensive efficiency, while the Thunderbirds are 339th in defensive efficiency. The Spartans should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds vs. Michigan State Spartans ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern Utah, ATS Winner – Southern Utah, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Thunderbirds rank 174th in steals per game (6.0) while the Spartans rank 274th (4.4).
- Southern Utah ranks 60th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while Michigan State ranks 139th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3).
- Michigan State ranks seventh in assists per game (17.2) while Southern Utah ranks 264th (11.8).
- The Spartans average 37.8 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the NCAA. The Thunderbirds rank 245th in rebounds allowed per game (37.2).
- Michigan State ranks first in blocks per game (5.3) while Southern Utah ranks 233rd in blocks allowed per game (4.4).