The Iowa Hawkeyes (5-4) will be at home in Carver-Hawkeye Arena when they take on the Southern Utah Thunderbirds (6-4). Iowa opened as an 18.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 167 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Free Preview
In the Thunderbirds last contest, they beat the Central Michigan Chippewas, 86-80. With 16 points, Ivan Madunic played well for Southern Utah. The Thunderbirds knocked down 21 of their 24 free throws (87.5 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.502).
The Hawkeyes come in on a high note after blowing out the Drake Bulldogs in their last outing, 90-64. Nicholas Baer was a key piece for Iowa with 11 points, 14 rebounds and five assists. Iowa dominated every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 42.4 (above their season average of 37.7) and a turnover percentage of 16.0 (better than their season average of 16.7). Drake recorded marks of 15.6 and 24.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Iowa figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Hawkeyes rank 72nd in offensive efficiency, while the Thunderbirds rank 317th in defensive efficiency dating back to the 2016-17 season. Also, the Thunderbirds, who rank 44th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.312), will face a tough test against the Hawkeyes, who rank 43rd in opponents FTA rate (0.187).
Of Southern Utah’s 8 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the projected point total, while 4 of Iowa’s 8 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (6-4 for Southern Utah; 5-4 for Iowa), but the Thunderbirds have the edge against the spread (ATS). Southern Utah is 8-0 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 2-4-2.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds at Iowa Hawkeyes Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iowa, ATS Winner – Iowa, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Thunderbirds rank 35th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while the Hawkeyes rank 149th (7.7).
- Southern Utah ranks 89th in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while Iowa ranks 168th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- Iowa ranks eighth in rebounds per game (39.5) while Southern Utah ranks 211th in rebounds allowed per game (37.5).
- The Hawkeyes average 18.2 assists per game, which ranks third in the nation. The Thunderbirds rank 188th in assists allowed per game (15.4).
- Iowa ranks 21st in blocks per game (4.2) while Southern Utah ranks 163rd in blocks allowed per game (4.5).