SWAC foes will clash when the Jackson State Tigers (10-13, 7-3 SWAC) take on the Southern University Jaguars (9-14, 5-5 SWAC) at Williams Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 126 points with Jackson State set as a 1.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Southern University Jaguars at Jackson State Tigers ATS Preview
The Jaguars lost a tough one against the Grambling State Tigers in their last game, 69-68. Jared Sam had a good performance for Southern University, leading both teams in scoring with 23 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Grambling State had a turnover percentage of 14.7 (better than their season average of 18.2). Southern University, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (24-34; 70.6 percent).
In the Tigers last matchup, they topped the Alcorn State Braves, 60-57. Jackson State received a boost from Jeremiah Jefferson, who was the games leading scorer with 17 points on 6-for-12 shooting. The Tigers forced 16 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.232 (above their season average of 0.174).
Southern University could struggle to create turnovers. Jackson State ranks 55th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.9 percent), while Southern University forces the 234th-most turnovers (18.3 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Tigers won 65-61. Jackson State had a much better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 19.5). Southern University, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.0 vs. 20.0). Sam finished with 22 points and 13 rebounds.
Southern University Jaguars vs. Jackson State Tigers Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Jackson State, ATS Winner – Jackson State, O/U – Over
- The Tigers rank 146th in blocks per game (2.9) while the Jaguars rank 178th in blocks allowed per game (4.5).
- Southern University and Jackson State both average 11.4 assists per game, which ranks 243rd in the NCAA.
- Southern University ranks 52nd in rebounds per game (38.3) while Jackson State ranks 235th (32.9).
- The Tigers rank 114th in three pointers attempted per game (22.5) while the Jaguars rank 266th (16.7).
- Jackson State ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while Southern University ranks 86th (5.9).
- The Tigers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 66.4 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.8 points per game (11.7 below their season average).