he Southern University Jaguars (4-10, 0-1 SWAC) will try to end a 10-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head against the Prairie View A&M Panthers (4-11, 1-0 SWAC) at William Nicks Center. Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Southern University Jaguars at Prairie View A&M Panthers Betting Preview
he Jaguars fell to the Texas Southern Tigers in their last contest, 78-66. Jarred Sam had a solid game for Southern University, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 5-for-17 shooting. Texas Southern had an effective field goal percentage of 0.539 (above their season average of 0.471). Southern University, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (13-18; 72.2 percent).
n the Panthers last matchup, they topped the Alcorn State Braves, 76-64. With 15 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Dennis Jones was Prairie View A&M’s high scorer. Prairie View A&M played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.475) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 (above their season average of 29.7). For those same stats, Alcorn State recorded marks of 0.433 and 27.5, respectively.
all security could play a significant role in this battle. Southern University commits the 35th-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 16.4 percent), while the disruptive defense of Prairie View A&M forces the 28th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 23.5 percent).
his will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Panthers won the last game 70-64. Prairie View A&M had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.529 vs. 0.423). Southern University, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (44.1 vs. 24.1).
Southern University Jaguars vs. Prairie View A&M Panthers Odds Prediction
redictions: SU Winner – Prairie View A&M, ATS Winner – Prairie View A&M, O/U – Under
- The Panthers average 3.0 blocks per game, which ranks 130th in the NCAA. The Jaguars rank 163rd in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- Southern University ranks 212th in assists per game (11.9) while Prairie View A&M ranks 227th (11.3).
- Prairie View A&M ranks 126th in three pointers allowed per game (21.9) while Southern University ranks 234th (25.2).
- The Jaguars rank 110th in rebounds per game (37.1) while the Panthers rank 186th in rebounds allowed per game (36.9).
- Prairie View A&M ranks 47th in steals per game (7.7) while Southern University ranks 98th (6.6).
- The Panthers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 8.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 70.4 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (6.7 below their season average).