The Southern University Jaguars (3-8) look to end an eight-game road losing streak when they take on the No. 18 Baylor Bears (9-2) at Ferrell Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Southern University Jaguars at Baylor Bears Odds Preview
The Jaguars dismantled the Florida A&M Rattlers in their last contest, 68-50. With 10 points and 13 rebounds, Southern University’s Emanual Shepherd played well. Southern University dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 18.7 (worse than their season average of 15.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.2 (above their season average of 30.6). For those same stats, Florida A&M recorded marks of 30.3 and 30.3, respectively.
The last time the Bears played, they thoroughly outplayed the Savannah State Tigers, 118-86. Baylor rallied around Jo Lual-Acuil Jr. who was the games high scorer with 31 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Baylor dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.319 (above their season average of 0.242) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 46.9 (above their season average of 34.2). Savannah State was 0.076 and 17.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Baylor could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their productive offense goes up against one of the worst defenses in the NCAA. The Bears currently rank 13th in offensive efficiency, while Southern University ranks 331st in defensive efficiency.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Jaguars, it’s been Jarred Sam, who has averaged 18.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals, while the Bears have received solid contributions from Lual-Acuil Jr. (14.6 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Bears won the only contest played against each other last season, 89-59. The Bears played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.4 and a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.635. For those same stats, the Jaguars put up marks of 23.5 and 0.438, respectively.
Southern University Jaguars vs. Baylor Bears Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern University, ATS Winner – Southern University, O/U – Over
- The Bears rank 155th in three pointers attempted per game (21.3) while the Jaguars rank 228th (18.2).
- Baylor ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.5) while Southern University ranks 82nd (6.1).
- Baylor ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while Southern University ranks 226th (39.8).
- The Bears rank 12th in assists per game (18.6) while the Jaguars rank 210th (11.4).
- Baylor averages 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 46th in the NCAA. Southern University ranks 164th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- The Bears average margin of victory in their last five games has been 21.4, up from 17.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.2 points per game (3.4 below their season average).