The Southern Miss Golden Eagles (20-11, 12-7 CUSA) clash with the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (19-13, 12-7 CUSA) in the Conference USA Conference Tourney at Ford Center at The Star. The game starts at 4 p.m. ET on Friday, March 15, 2019, and will air on CBS Sports Network.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Betting Odds
Both teams beat their last opponent. The Hilltoppers defeated the North Texas Mean Green 67-51, while the Golden Eagles beat the Marshall Thundering Herd 82-73.
Southern Miss played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.0 (below their season average of 25.3) and a free throw rate of 0.308 (above their season average of 0.161). Marshall was 2.9 and 0.185, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Western Kentucky played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.370 (above their season average of 0.265) and a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 17.4). North Texas was 0.167 and 17.2, respectively, for those same stats. Western Kentucky was led by Taveion Hollingsworth, who finished with 23 points. Tyree Griffin played a pivotal role for Southern Miss with 23 points and eight assists.
Western Kentucky might have difficulty scoring as they go head-to-head against one of the country’s best defenses. Southern Miss ranks 28th in defensive efficiency, while the Hilltoppers rank 208th in offensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Golden Eagles rank 344th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.165), while the Hilltoppers rank 21st in opponents’ FTA rate (0.178).
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Free Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Southern Miss, ATS Winner – Southern Miss, O/U – Under
- Southern Miss ranks 14th in assists per game (17.0) while Western Kentucky ranks 192nd (12.4).
- The Golden Eagles rank 25th in steals per game (7.9) while the Hilltoppers rank 103rd in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- Western Kentucky averages 36.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 96th in the nation. Southern Miss ranks 174th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- The Hilltoppers rank ninth in blocks per game (5.1) while the Golden Eagles rank 112th (3.4).
- Southern Miss ranks 208th in three pointers attempted per game (21.2) while Western Kentucky ranks 287th (18.0).
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average).
- The Hilltoppers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 2.2 for the season.