CUSA foes will collide when the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (12-4, 4-0 CUSA) challenge the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (9-9, 2-3 CUSA) at Murphy Athletic Center. Action gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Betting Preview
In the Golden Eagles last game, they fell to the UAB Blazers, 86-75. Southern Miss Tyree Griffin put together a solid performance, leading both teams in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-16 shooting. UAB did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (14-20; 70.0 percent). Southern Miss, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (16.7 vs. 18.7).
The Blue Raiders will look to maintain momentum after topping the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs in their last contest, 72-57. Middle Tennessee rallied around Nick King, who was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Middle Tennessee played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.302 (above their season average of 0.266) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.3 (above their season average of 31.3). Louisiana Tech put up marks of 0.158 and 23.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Middle Tennessee ranks 256th in possessions per game (68.6) and Southern Miss is 252nd (68.8). Additionally, put-back points figure to be tough to come by for the Golden Eagles. They rank 323rd in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 22.9 percent, while the Blue Raiders are 20th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 76.0 percent).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Blue Raiders won the lone game last season, 72-56. The Blue Raiders played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.5 and a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.602. For those same stats, the Golden Eagles had marks of 22.3 and 0.490, respectively.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles at Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Middle Tennessee, ATS Winner – Middle Tennessee, O/U – Under
- The Golden Eagles rank 38th in steals per game (7.8) while the Blue Raiders rank 83rd (6.8).
- Middle Tennessee allows the 50th-fewest blocks per game (2.9) while Southern Miss ranks 57th (3.0).
- Middle Tennessee ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (18.8) while Southern Miss ranks 250th (26.4).
- The Blue Raiders rank 30th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Golden Eagles rank 155th (35.7).
- Middle Tennessee averages 13.7 assists per game, which ranks 130th in the NCAA. Southern Miss ranks 176th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- The Blue Raiders average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, down from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.2 points per game (10.4 above their season average).