The Marshall Thundering Herd (22-10, 13-6 CUSA) and the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (16-17, 9-11 CUSA) clash in the Conference USA Conference Tourney at Ford Center at The Star. Tip-off is set for 1:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Odds Preview
The Golden Eagles barely escaped the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in their last contest, 71-68. Cortez Edwards was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 8-for-20 shooting. Southern Miss dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.218 (above their season average of 0.206) and a turnover percentage of 18.4 (worse than their season average of 13.0). Middle Tennessee had marks of 0.094 and 23.4, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Thundering Herd played, they topped the UTSA Roadrunners, 95-81. Marshall was led by Ajdin Penava, who finished with 23 points and 12 rebounds. Marshall played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.533 (above their season average of 0.248) and a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 16.0). For those same stats, UTSA was 0.258 and 15.3, respectively.
It will be a battle of contrasting tempos as the fast-breaking Thundering Herd will look to push the slower-paced Golden Eagles. The Thundering Herd rank fifth in possessions per game while the Golden Eagles are 283rd. Moreover, the Golden Eagles, who rank 284th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.207), will clash against the Thundering Herd, who rank 34th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.191).
These teams have already met once this season. The Thundering Herd won 85-66. The Thundering Herd played a flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 42.1 and a free throw rate of 0.194. The Golden Eagles were 11.4 and 0.085, respectively, for those same stats. Penava recorded a double-double with 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Betting Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Southern Miss, ATS Winner – Southern Miss, O/U – Over
- The Thundering Herd rank 108th in rebounds per game (36.2) while the Golden Eagles rank 278th (30.5).
- Southern Miss ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (4.2) while Marshall ranks 159th (6.7).
- Marshall ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (28.3) while Southern Miss ranks 267th in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- The Thundering Herd rank fifth in blocks per game (6.1) while the Golden Eagles rank 234th (1.8).
- Marshall ranks 10th in assists per game (17.4) while Southern Miss ranks 181st in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- The Thundering Herd’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 62.4 points per game (8.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (4.2 below their season average).