The FIU Golden Panthers (14-17, 8-10 CUSA) and the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (14-17, 7-11 CUSA) face off in the Conference USA Conference Tourney at Ford Center at The Star. FIU is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 140 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. FIU Golden Panthers ATS Preview
The Golden Eagles beat the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs in their last matchup, 72-64. With 15 points, nine assists and seven rebounds, Southern Miss’ Tyree Griffin put together a solid game. The Golden Eagles, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.507, had a ridiculous mark of 0.604 and had a free throw rate of 0.292 (above their season average of 0.200).
In the Golden Panthers’ last game, they were topped by the Old Dominion Monarchs, 79-53. Eric Lockett was FIU’s high scorer with 15 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Old Dominion had an effective field goal percentage of 0.645 (above their season average of 0.508). FIU, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (17-21; 81.0 percent).
Ball protection could play an integral role in this battle. FIU commits the 27th-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 15.8 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Southern Miss forces the 59th-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 20.9 percent).
Of Southern Miss’ 26 games with betting action, 15 have finished over the O/U total, while 11 of FIU’s 24 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (14-17 for Southern Miss; 14-17 for FIU), but the Golden Panthers hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). FIU is 14-9-2 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 13-13.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 146 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 140. The Golden Panthers won 76-70, covering as 2-point favorites. The Golden Panthers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.396 and a turnover percentage of 11.6. The Golden Eagles put up marks of 0.066 and 14.3, respectively, for those same stats. In the victory, Brian Beard Jr. led all scorers with 23 points.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. FIU Golden Panthers Free Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Southern Miss, ATS Winner – Southern Miss, O/U – Under
- The Golden Panthers rank 173rd in three pointers allowed per game (22.2) while the Golden Eagles rank 281st (25.2).
- FIU ranks 31st in steals per game (7.6) while Southern Miss ranks 65th (7.0).
- FIU ranks 117th in rebounds per game (36.0) while Southern Miss ranks 279th (30.4).
- The Golden Eagles rank 85th in assists per game (14.7) while the Golden Panthers rank 245th (11.8).
- Southern Miss ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while FIU ranks 136th (3.5).
- FIU is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Southern Miss is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Golden Panthers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 0.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 60.6 points per game (9.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (0.1 above their season average).