The Marshall Thundering Herd (9-4) look to prolong an eight-game home winning streak when they square off with the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (7-6) at Henderson Center. Marshall opened as an 11-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 153 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles vs. Marshall Thundering Herd ATS Preview
In the Golden Eagles last matchup, they fell to the Mississippi State Bulldogs, 70-64. With 22 points on 9-for-17 shooting, Cortez Edwards was the top scorer from either team. Mississippi State had a free throw rate of 0.386 (above their season average of 0.208). Southern Miss, on the other hand, forced the Bulldogs into a turnover percentage of 22.0 (above their season average of 17.8).
The Thundering Herd hope to maintain momentum after blowing out the Eastern Kentucky Colonels in their last matchup, 91-71. Ajdin Penava had a good outing for Marshall, contributing 13 points, 10 rebounds and nine blocks. The Thundering Herd knocked down 12 of their 16 free throws (75.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.718 (above their season average of 0.548).
Opposite paces will be on display in this battle. Marshall prefers a fast-paced style of play (fourth in possessions per game), while Southern Miss likes to grind-it-out (285th in possessions per game).
Both of these teams have typically finished over the projected point total. Games involving Southern Miss have finished over 62.5 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Marshall games have finished over. The Thundering Herd hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-4 SU and 5-5 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 7-6 SU and 4-4 ATS.
Penava has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Marshall, averaging 22.4 points, 11.0 rebounds, 5.4 blocks and 2.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Golden Eagles won the lone game last season, 91-76. The Golden Eagles dominated every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 and a superb free throw rate of 0.300. The Thundering Herd were 19.5 and 0.242, respectively, for those same stats.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles at Marshall Thundering Herd Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marshall, ATS Winner – Marshall, O/U – Over
- The Thundering Herd rank 117th in rebounds per game (36.6) while the Golden Eagles rank 239th (32.3).
- Southern Miss ranks first in steals allowed per game (3.6) while Marshall ranks 115th (6.8).
- On the road, Southern Miss is 3-4 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- Marshall is 3-2 ATS at home with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Marshall ranks 31st in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while Southern Miss ranks 235th in three pointers allowed per game (26.1).
- The Thundering Herd rank eighth in blocks per game (6.3) while the Golden Eagles rank 199th (1.5).
- Southern Miss ranks 80th in assists per game (15.2) while Marshall ranks 204th in assists allowed per game (15.8).
- Marshall is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Southern Miss is 2-1 ATS with 3 overs.
- The Thundering Herd’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.8, down from 6.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (2.4 above their season average).