The Nevada Wolf Pack (10-2) and the Southern Illinois Salukis (7-4) battle at Orleans Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 149 points with Nevada set as a 12-point favorite. Action gets underway at 11 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Southern Illinois Salukis vs. Nevada Wolf Pack Free Preview
The Salukis easily got past the North Carolina A&T Aggies in their last matchup, 102-64. With 10 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, Tyler Smithpeters played well for Southern Illinois. Southern Illinois played a perfect game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 18.4) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.726 (above their season average of 0.518). North Carolina A&T had marks of 21.9 and 0.529, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Wolf Pack played, they topped the UC Davis Aggies, 88-73. With 22 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Caleb Martin was the games high scorer. Nevada dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.263 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 11.8 (better than their season average of 14.5). For those same stats, UC Davis put up marks of 0.159 and 19.0, respectively.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a balanced contest. The upper-echelon Nevada offense ranks 31st in the NCAA in that metric at 0.570, while the top-notch Southern Illinois defense is ranked 44th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.458).
Of Southern Illinois 6 games that accepted bets, three have finished over the O/U total, while 8 of Nevada’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wolf Pack have a sizable advantage. They are 10-2 SU and 7-3-1 ATS, while the Salukis are 7-4 SU and 2-4 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Salukis, it’s been Armon Fletcher, who has averaged 14.6 points and 5.8 rebounds, while the Wolf Pack have received great contributions from Jordan Caroline (19.2 points and 11.0 rebounds).
Southern Illinois Salukis vs. Nevada Wolf Pack Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nevada, ATS Winner – Nevada, O/U – Over
- The Wolf Pack rank 108th in rebounds per game (36.9) while the Salukis rank 136th in rebounds allowed per game (34.8).
- Nevada ranks 115th in three pointers attempted per game (23.2) while Southern Illinois ranks 116th in three pointers allowed per game (21.5).
- Nevada ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Southern Illinois ranks 98th (6.4).
- The Wolf Pack rank 18th in assists per game (18.1) while the Salukis rank 75th (15.4).
- Nevada ranks 34th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Southern Illinois ranks 66th (3.0).
- The Wolf Pack’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, down from 13.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Salukis have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (2.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.0 points per game (2.0 below their season average).