The Bradley Braves (12-5, 2-2 MVC) can continue a six-game home winning streak when they square off with the Southern Illinois Salukis (10-7, 2-2 MVC) at Carver Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 133 points with Bradley set as a 6.5-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Southern Illinois Salukis at Bradley Braves Betting Preview
In the Salukis last game, they fell to the Valparaiso Crusaders, 83-72. Southern Illinois Armon Fletcher had a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 32 points on 11-for-19 shooting. Valparaiso did a terrific job of making free throws (19-25; 76.0 percent). Southern Illinois, meanwhile, forced the Crusaders into a turnover percentage of 19.5 (above the 16.2 mark opponents have averaged against Southern Illinois this season).
The Braves are hoping for a better outcome after their 68-44 loss to the Evansville Aces in their last outing. Donte Thomas led Bradley in scoring with 12 points on 4-for-8 shooting. Evansville had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 (above their season average of 27.8). Bradley, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (11-15; 73.3 percent).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nations slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Bradley currently ranks 315th in possessions per game (67.1) and Southern Illinois is 291st (67.8).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Southern Illinois games have finished under 58.3 percent of the time, while 80.0 percent of games featuring Bradley have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Braves have a substantial advantage. They are 12-5 SU and 9-5-1 ATS, while the Salukis are 10-7 SU and 4-8 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Salukis won 85-65. The Salukis played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 48.5 and a fantastic free throw rate of 0.382. For those same stats, the Braves were 24.2 and 0.326, respectively.
Southern Illinois Salukis vs. Bradley Braves Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern Illinois, ATS Winner – Southern Illinois, O/U – Under
- The Salukis average 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 87th in the nation. The Braves rank 93rd in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Southern Illinois is 2-5 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Bradley is 6-0-1 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Bradley averages 37.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 94th in the NCAA. Southern Illinois ranks 144th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- The Salukis rank 206th in three pointers attempted per game (18.9) while the Braves rank 228th (17.8).
- Bradley ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Southern Illinois ranks 31st (2.5).
- Bradley is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Southern Illinois is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Braves have been outscored by an average of 4.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Bradley has defeated opponents by an average of 6.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Salukis have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average).