SthLnd foes will battle when the Sam Houston State Bearkats (11-9, 5-2 SthLnd) meet the Southeastern Louisiana Lions (12-8, 6-1 SthLnd) at Johnson Coliseum. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Southeastern Louisiana Lions vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats ATS Preview
The Lions dismantled the Northwestern State Demons in their last matchup, 85-58. With 12 points, eight assists and six rebounds, Southeastern Louisiana’s Marlain Veal had a solid game. The Lions had a turnover percentage of 12.3 (better than their season average of 19.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.562 (above their season average of 0.502).
In the Bearkats last matchup, they were blown out by the Lamar Cardinals, 84-77. With 14 points and nine rebounds, Sam Houston State’s Christopher Galbreath Jr. had a solid outing. Lamar forced the Bearkats into a turnover percentage of 26.0 (above their season average of 15.7). Sam Houston State, on the other hand, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.620 (above their season average of 0.477).
The offense of Sam Houston State (240th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 102.5) will battle against the top-notch defense of Southeastern Louisiana (100th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 99.5). The Lions should have the advantage on that side of the ball. Moreover, the Lions rank 56th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.9 percent), while the Bearkats rank 58th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.4 percent).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Bearkats won the sole contest played against each other last season, 71-69. Sam Houston State had a much better turnover percentage (17.0 vs. 25.3). Southeastern Louisiana, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.580 vs. 0.536).
Southeastern Louisiana Lions vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Sam Houston State, ATS Winner – Sam Houston State, O/U – Over
- The Lions rank 28th in assists allowed per game (11.1) while the Bearkats rank 98th (12.8).
- Southeastern Louisiana ranks 121st in blocks per game (3.2) while Sam Houston State ranks 132nd in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Southeastern Louisiana ranks 70th in three pointers allowed per game (20.1) while Sam Houston State ranks 244th (25.1).
- The Bearkats rank 52nd in rebounds per game (38.5) while the Lions rank 155th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- Sam Houston State ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Southeastern Louisiana ranks 97th (6.2).
- The Bearkats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.4, up from 4.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lions have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (5.0 below their season average).