The Houston Cougars (15-4, 5-2 AAC) will try to lengthen an eight-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the South Florida Bulls (8-13, 1-7 AAC) at Health & PE Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 139 points with Houston set as a 22-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
South Florida Bulls vs. Houston Cougars ATS Preview
In the Bulls last contest, they defeated the Tulane Green Wave, 80-75. With 16 points and 12 rebounds, Terrence Samuel had a good game for South Florida. South Florida dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.469 (above their season average of 0.231) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 29.2). For those same stats, Tulane recorded marks of 0.222 and 26.2, respectively.
The Cougars hope to keep it rolling after topping the No. 7 Wichita State Shockers in their last outing, 73-59. Houston’s Corey Davis Jr. had a good outing, finishing with 17 points and eight rebounds. The Cougars forced 18 turnovers and held the Shockers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.362 (below their season average of 0.574).
Houston could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense goes up against one of the worst defenses in the NCAA. The Cougars currently rank 38th in offensive efficiency, while South Florida ranks 288th in defensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving South Florida have finished over 58.8 percent of the time, while Houston games have gone under 60.0 percent of the time. The Cougars come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 15-4 SU and 8-7 ATS, while the Bulls are 8-13 SU and 5-11-1 ATS.
Davis Jr. has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Houston, averaging 14.0 points and 3.6 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 139 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 136.5. The Cougars won 79-60, covering as 15.5-point favorites. The Cougars played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.524 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4. The Bulls were 0.377 and 25.6, respectively, for those same stats. Davis Jr. was a top performer in the victory, with 15 points.
South Florida Bulls vs. Houston Cougars Betting Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – South Florida, O/U – Over
- The Cougars rank 150th in three pointers attempted per game (21.7) while the Bulls rank 260th (17.2).
- Houston ranks 115th in steals per game (6.3) while South Florida ranks 155th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Houston is 4-1 ATS at home, while South Florida is 2-4-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 3 of the Cougars 5 home games, while 5 of the Bulls 7 road games have gone over.
- Houston ranks 31st in rebounds per game (39.5) while South Florida ranks 212th (33.8).
- The Cougars rank 43rd in assists allowed per game (11.5) while the Bulls rank 188th (14.6).
- Houston ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while South Florida ranks 147th (4.0).
- Houston is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, South Florida is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 12.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 62.6 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 81.8 points per game (10.4 above their season average).