The South Florida Bulls (7-11, 0-5 AAC), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they travel to Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum to challenge the East Carolina Pirates (7-10, 1-5 AAC). East Carolina is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 127 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
South Florida Bulls at East Carolina Pirates Betting Preview
The Bulls got blown out by the No. 14 Cincinnati Bearcats in their last contest, 78-55. With 22 points on 7-for-10 shooting, Payton Banks was the games high scorer. Cincinnati made good use of their 31 trips to the charity stripe, converting on 27 of them (87.1 percent). South Florida, on the other hand, was 12-16 (75.0 percent).
The last time the Pirates played, they were blown out by the Houston Cougars, 65-49. Shawn Williams was East Carolina’s leading scorer with 17 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Houston held the Pirates to an effective field goal percentage of 0.351 (below their season average of 0.463). East Carolina, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (9-12; 75.0 percent).
East Carolina figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Pirates currently rank 80th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.479), while South Florida is 314th in effective field goal percentage (0.473).
There does not appear to be a trend for either of these teams in terms of going over or under the O/U total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (7-11 for South Florida; 7-10 for East Carolina), but the Pirates have the advantage against the spread (ATS). East Carolina is 4-6 ATS, while the Bulls are 3-10-1.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 132 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 129.5. The Pirates won 67-65, covering as 6-point underdogs. The Pirates turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Bulls. East Carolina had a rate of 8.9, while South Florida posted a mark of 20.2. Jabari Craig had a stellar game, with 13 points and eight rebounds.
South Florida Bulls vs. East Carolina Pirates Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – East Carolina, ATS Winner – South Florida, O/U – Over
- South Florida is 1-3-1 ATS on the road with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, East Carolina is 2-4 ATS with 3 overs and 3 unders.
- East Carolina ranks 93rd in blocks per game (3.6) while South Florida ranks 132nd in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- The Pirates rank 235th in three pointers attempted per game (18.2) while the Bulls rank 254th (17.1).
- South Florida averages 34.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 201st in the nation. East Carolina ranks 220th in rebounds allowed per game (37.6).
- East Carolina is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, South Florida is 0-5 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pirates average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.8, up from 6.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 55.2 points per game (7.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.6 points per game (9.4 above their season average).